DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 ram 1500 v6 2wd and have some major issues going on. i replaced the fuel pump and had to replace the fuel lines. I drove it yesterday and when it gets to 25 miles an hour it starts reving real loud and i have to gun the trck to get it to go. it wont go over 40. gas gauge stuck below empty and wont move. oil gauge drops to zero every time truck stops moving. started knocking as we were driving takes a minute to start up and finally losing speed and wont go so we pulled over and it died and will not start. does anyone know where to start with this. I would appriciate all the help i can get with this. I really need this fixed and dont know enough about trucks to even know what to get checked. thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it lost oil pressure and started knocking sounds likely to be oil pump. Or timeing chain. Did it try to turn over at all? Or did starter struggle or just click like it was stuck.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Another thing is did you check oil after it quit what was it like? Was it clean or did it look like a foamy milk shake?

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Just some loose thoughts

Did you drop the tank from under the Ram to replace the fuel pump ? or lift the bed off?
You could have pinched a hose or pulled a wire loose if you did

The auto parts shop could have also have sold you a fuel pump for a diesel
the diesel pumps have an extra hose, that is used as a return line

The oil pressure is going to need more investigating

Dodge is still making those engines, the 3.7L, for Jeep use mostly
My friend bought a 3.7L out of a 2009 Jeep that had been rolled over, to replace his 2004 3.7L that had a hole in the block
He just had to use his '04 intake & sensors on the '09 engine, serviced the engine & started driving

I sure hope that whatever the issue, turns out to be a simple fix
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The V6 in the 1998 Ram is a 3.9 Magnum (no longer in production) which was derived from the 5.2 V8 and shares no components with the 3.7 V6

1 - 5 of 5 Posts