DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure where I am going with this but thought I would put it out here. My 2016 1500 with a 5.7, about 118000 miles on it always meticoulously cared for. I was driving on the interstate about 70mph when I felt a couple of things that I thought might of been misfires, I knew something was not right as this truck has never missed beat, I felt a slight loss of power and when I gave it more gas it did not respond and starting bucking or jerking for lack of a better description, my next thought was that I had a blowout with a tire maybe, I pulled over as fast as I could in heavy traffic and as I came to a stop I watched my tach drop to zero rpm, this all happened in a 1/4 mile or less, traffic is flying by and its very noisy, I try and start it and get no response, call for a flatbed and get it towed to my place of work after figuring out how to get it out Park if you cant start it. Its quiet here and I can hear the starter click when I try and start it but even with a booster no crank, I check with a scanner and no trouble codes, get underneath with a breaker bar and try and turn the engine over by hand and no way, its set up tight, I am guessing that it did the infamous drop a valve seat and piston to valve interference now? Does this usually destroy the engine? Used engine with 11k on it $4500 plus install labor and misc., new or reman not available thru Chrysler or for Jasper 6-8 weeks build time. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Find a local rebuild shop and have them rebuild it.
I have rebuilt transmissions for a living here in Central NY for the past 40 years and can honestly say that I do not believe there are any true machine shops left in our area, if there is they are doing racing engines, I am in the business and had a hard time finding a shop that wanted to do the swap.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,199 Posts
I am not sure where I am going with this but thought I would put it out here. My 2016 1500 with a 5.7, about 118000 miles on it always meticoulously cared for. I was driving on the interstate about 70mph when I felt a couple of things that I thought might of been misfires, I knew something was not right as this truck has never missed beat, I felt a slight loss of power and when I gave it more gas it did not respond and starting bucking or jerking for lack of a better description, my next thought was that I had a blowout with a tire maybe, I pulled over as fast as I could in heavy traffic and as I came to a stop I watched my tach drop to zero rpm, this all happened in a 1/4 mile or less, traffic is flying by and its very noisy, I try and start it and get no response, call for a flatbed and get it towed to my place of work after figuring out how to get it out Park if you cant start it. Its quiet here and I can hear the starter click when I try and start it but even with a booster no crank, I check with a scanner and no trouble codes, get underneath with a breaker bar and try and turn the engine over by hand and no way, its set up tight, I am guessing that it did the infamous drop a valve seat and piston to valve interference now? Does this usually destroy the engine? Used engine with 11k on it $4500 plus install labor and misc., new or reman not available thru Chrysler or for Jasper 6-8 weeks build time. Thoughts?
I'd try for a rebuild first before forking out $4500. What kind of warranty does that used engine come with? (Just curious)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did contact them, they do not do any work on vehicles, the engine would need to be pulled and bought to them and they would take it apart and see what it needs, It was hard to get someone to do the engine swap much alone pull the engine and have the truck sitting dead around their shop for a couple of weeks, in a perfect world that is what I would do but I need my vehicle asap, thanks for the suggestion and I will keep them in mind for future needs.
Did you contact Syracuse Crank & Machine? I have not needed their services but they would be my first call.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,199 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts