DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im not sure if one has to do with the other, but a buddy and i just rebuilt the automatic tranny in a `96 ram with the 5.9.

Not to be the ever since guy, BUT, ever since we put the tranny back in, it stalls when you come to a stop. not sure if it is becasue the truck has ben sitting for a few weeks while waiting the rebuild or not. My buddy is a mechanic and thinks it could be the TC locking up and stalling the vehicle at low speeds. Any experience or expert Dodge tranny advice?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
So im not sure if one has to do with the other, but a buddy and i just rebuilt the automatic tranny in a `96 ram with the 5.9.

Not to be the ever since guy, BUT, ever since we put the tranny back in, it stalls when you come to a stop. not sure if it is becasue the truck has ben sitting for a few weeks while waiting the rebuild or not. My buddy is a mechanic and thinks it could be the TC locking up and stalling the vehicle at low speeds. Any experience or expert Dodge tranny advice?
Did you and your buddy replace the TC?
Did you also rebuild the valve body?

The valve body would cause the TC to lockup, most likely the valve body needs to be rebuilt if it hasn't. If the vale body was rebuilt it might of been rebuilt wrong or is missing a part (happens more often then a person would think) typically the springs aren't put in correctly.

Check the neutral safety switch also, I had a similar problem it would only stall the engine while in reverse.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Ramvan;

thanks for the reply. we did replace the TC with a rebuilt unit from a reputable company, as well as the valvebody. the truck used to be mine until the tranny blew, and it never stalled once...

one of the parts in the valve body was bad but it wouldnt shift out of first...that has been swapped out and it now shifts, just the stalling issue now.

ill tell him to check the neutral safety switch...there was one code (some tranny speed sensor i think), but that has been replaced and no new codes...it is a stumper!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
hey Ramvan;

thanks for the reply. we did replace the TC with a rebuilt unit from a reputable company, as well as the valvebody. the truck used to be mine until the tranny blew, and it never stalled once...

one of the parts in the valve body was bad but it wouldnt shift out of first...that has been swapped out and it now shifts, just the stalling issue now.

ill tell him to check the neutral safety switch...there was one code (some tranny speed sensor i think), but that has been replaced and no new codes...it is a stumper!
I got some bad news for you, their is one of three things to cause the vehicle to stall in reverse. Plugged cooler lines, bad pump, bad valve body. Check the cooler lines if ok then move on to rebuilding the pump and valve body.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got some bad news for you, their is one of three things to cause the vehicle to stall in reverse. Plugged cooler lines, bad pump, bad valve body. Check the cooler lines if ok then move on to rebuilding the pump and valve body.
the stalling is only in drive....and only when you come to a stop...same problem?? Im not sure the tranny rebuild and the stalling are related, just peculiar since it never stalled once in the 9 years i owned it...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
the stalling is only in drive....and only when you come to a stop...same problem?? Im not sure the tranny rebuild and the stalling are related, just peculiar since it never stalled once in the 9 years i owned it...
It could be related, especially the way things are made. One part works hand in hand with another part. Maybe possible either the computer is failing or maybe a failed sensor or bad fuel pump. My van 16 years old it is last 10 years never any problems then the transmission fails and I rebuilt it and put a new converter in and it has a shudder like it did before it died, I'm thinking my fuel pump is dieing because it's the van's are legendary to eat fuel pumps. That and/or my ECM is no good, ECM is 11 years old now and it was only a reman model.

Yea your case is a head scratcher for sure. Do a fuel pressure test (I doubt this is the problem but better to get it out of the way). Next thing would be to have all the sensors checked you can do this with a DRB tool.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey ramvan...

just to let you know my buddy took the 96 out for a good haul on the highway and gave er...

looks like the stalling issue is gone...maybe fouled gas from sitting two months...who knows!!

thanks for the tips tho...

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hey ramvan...

just to let you know my buddy took the 96 out for a good haul on the highway and gave er...

looks like the stalling issue is gone...maybe fouled gas from sitting two months...who knows!!

thanks for the tips tho...
yea it could be bad gas. usually when something stalls out it would obviously be engine related it's just you mentioned a transmission rebuild and I know that sometimes a transmission can stall an engine out. but sometimes things have a way of fixing them selves. if it acts up again just message me. oh you should check the fuel pressure since the truck has been sitting for long time and it being a 1996. if the pressure is below 40 PSI I would strongly suggest a new pump, the minimum fuel pressure at idle can be 35 psi however because of the type of fuel injectors on the magnum engine you should have a pressure of 43.5 +/- 5psi at initial. Meaning turn the key to the on position do not start engine and fuel pressure should be around 40-43. it would really suck to have that die on you on the highway, my pump died on the highway and it was a nightmare on i95.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts