DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping my 5.9 out of my 1995 2wd ram 2500 MT with a 5.2 out of a 1993 Dakota 4wd automatic. My question is will the flywheel need any balancing? I've removed flywheel from 5.9 and installed on to 5.2. Borrowing a universal clutch alignment tool before mount clutch assembly. I've also removed bushing from 5.9 crank and purchased new pilot bearing just need to press in and reinstall bushing into 5.2 crankshaft to accept the MT NV4500.
Surprising, this swap has went well. I realize I'm downgrading HP and torque but I'm in hawaii and the lava is coming down the hill. Seriously, lava... I must have my truck. Lucky to find a donor truck that has compatible engine around here. My 5.9 ran on a cracked head for years, I just kept feeding her fluid and tried headgasket sealers. She finally cracked head & blew head gasket to seriously, water in the oil. 200k good run for hawaii.

My question is balancing of any sort required or is this just plug and play easy as it looks?
Aloha Punakev.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
So do you think if you ask the same question in a different thread you will get a different answer? For the LAST TIME. The 5.9 is externally balanced. This balance is handled by the flywheel in manual transmission applications. The 5.2 is internally balanced. THEREFORE, the 5.9 flywheel is not balanced properly for the 5.2. It will bolt on, but the balance is wrong. Changing the harmonic damper will not address this. The pilot bushing, while necessary, will not correct this. Do you get it now?

·
Registered
225 Posts
another one bites the dust......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts