DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 95 2500 and it has the 5.9, but it's on its last legs and I've been looking for a new motor. I'm having trouble finding one I like but then I thought maybe a 5.2 would work? Has anyone done this and is it going to castrate my truck? Also I have a manual transmission and I was wondering if it would matter if the motor came from an automatic truck?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You should try to find one with a manual, I think, flywheels are different. Is a 360 that hard to rebuild, or can't you just find a reman short block? 360 used to be a popular marine engine, I used to see the remans for around $1,000. I see 5.9 Cummins 12 valves pretty cheap, friend has a 2500 Cummins 4x4, running gear excellent, body too rusty for sticker. Carolina Machine Engines has a high performance long block 375 hp 360 for $1,996 all new from Mopar. 888-575-1995 regular long block is $1,496. Also 5.9 was used in Durangos, Dakotas and Jeep GC's, junk yards gotta have something for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My vote is to get a rebuild. Most engine swaps I have done always require more money than I plan on spending. Sensors and things seem to break when sitting, gaskets dry out and leak and so on.

My local place did a rebuild on mine for 1,600. Auto zone used to sell a short block for around 1200 to 1400.

I have been told you can easily swap the 5.9 for a 5.2. But again, id still go with a rebuild.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts