DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm swapping out my 02 Ram 4.7 for an 02 4.7 I bought from a salvage yard (out of a Durango). While bolting it up the two lowest bolts thread into the trans, so no problems there. But when I went to start the 4 upper bolts (threading into the engine block) they all felt like they're cross threading. These were the same bolts I had pulled from the old engine. After a long time trying I found that the bolts were different. The old bolts were M10x1.5 and the new engine took 3/8x16. Go figure...

Now to be fair, for all I know someone could have rebuilt this before, and re-tapped the bolt holes, or its the difference between a Ram 4.7 and Durango 4.7.

At this point its done, but I thought someone else might know if theres a difference between the 2 engines, or if nothing else maybe this will save someone from wasting there day like I did.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Where did your 02 Ram come from?

The case-to-block screws (qty=4) are 3/8-16 threads. They are not (and have never been, as far as I can find) M10 threads. I checked our releases for 2001 Durango, 2002 Durango and Ram, 2003 Ram, and even current (2012 MY) Ram 1500, and they ALL use the same bolt (06022266, which is 3/8-16 × 1.50). So if your 02 Ram had M10 screws in it, I'd say THAT was the one that was screwy (no pun intended).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts