DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright.. I bought my Ram used from a private detective in Kentucky, he was the first owner and custom ordered the truck from the Michigan plant. I bought the truck when it had 137,000 miles on it, although it had a tranny overhaul near 100,000. The truck just rolled over 166,000 miles today on my way to class. I am now to the point financially where I would like to go through the engine and components top to bottom to check their condition and the overall engine performance. The engine feels sluggish at times although my first dodge was the SS/T edition 2/wd ram and much lighter so maybe it's just my mind. Although I do feel as if with some TLC and new parts this engine could run like new. I have done most of the normal tune-up components (plugs,wires,rotor,dist cap,fuel filter,air filter,new battery etc.) I am needing help to identify parts that could cause my lack of power,however slight it may be. Also, parts that could be wore out by now that should be replaced (with used cars i assume nothing has been changed on them, just hope it has until I see for myself haha)...In a nutshell Could I get a list or rundown of what parts i should check/replace to see their condition and how it may help my engine performance..Thankyou!:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well

Here are a few things to look at: With that many miles it's time to think about doing a valve job at least. And while you're at it you can replace the intake plenum gasket which is prone to leaking. Some people say that with high mileage engines it's probably better to do the rings/pistons as well if you are doing the heads. Water pump, timing gear/ chains, new hoses, belts yadda yadda.:smileup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
With only 166k miles, I highly doubt it needs a rebuild or anything to that level.

I'd look into a timing chain,water pump.. Is it using/burning oil? If so, it's most likely in the heads, which is somewhat easy to fix. Just have your heads rebuilt.

But for right now, have you ever removed your throttle body and cleaned it out? They get real gummed up and can hinder performance and it really only takes 30 minutes to do.

Also, take your air hat off and open the TB by hand and look down in there..if you see pooled oil, your plenum gasket is blown, which makes you lose power and mpg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Misfit. I am definitely not a skinny black guy haha, the opposite, fat white guy haha! There is another Ram that cruises around Huntsville that looks similar, I have had other people ask me if that was me in it. About the truck, it does not use any noticeable amount of oil in my opinion (between every 3K oil change i will maybe add a quarter of to half a quart to keep it exactly on full. Cleaning the throttle body sounds like a good Idea, I have also considered a blown plenum I just need to suck it up and get out there and investigate. Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You probably saw me around town then, flame red regular cab Dakota R/T.

But yeah, I'd clean that TB good, and while your doing that all you gotta do is shine a light down in the intake, if ya see oil = blown plenum gasket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Basically to do this job it's just pulling the intake off, and the belly pan is bolted onto the underside of the intake with about 20 little bolts. So you'd need intake gaskets and the plenum gasket..as far as other parts, while it's tore apart, I'd replace the bypass hose from the intake to water pump, while the accessory bracket is off, cause it has to be removed to replace it alone. Other than that, I'd look at all the hoses,vacuum lines, and while you're there, maybe the water pump could be replaced if its within budget.

And yeah, the R/T has a pretty good tone to it..I'd like it to be louder, but everyone i know says it's pretty loud as is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds reasonable. Most of these parts are not to expensive I just have an issue of getting everything put back together properly haha! I am very good at taking it apart though. Now that bypass hose, I'm not familiar with that part or it's function.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It goes from the intake to water pump.. I'm trying to dig up a pic for ya..

Okay, see that little hose coming off the water pump going back toward the engine? That's the one. You can't see it normally, but this particular truck has the A/C section removed from the bracket, so its visible, on your truck, those hose is under the bracket..so it cannot be changed without removing the entire bracket, and since that bracket comes off for a plenum job, you should do it while your there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That sounds reasonable. Most of these parts are not to expensive I just have an issue of getting everything put back together properly haha! I am very good at taking it apart though. Now that bypass hose, I'm not familiar with that part or it's function.
Yeah it's a fairly cheap job if you're doing it yourself.

You'll need the gaskets,RTV, A jug of coolant, and hell, might as well throw a new thermostat on while you're at it.

You have a TQ wrench? You need one when reinstalling the intake..I don't think they require much TQ, 30 lbs if I remember.. But you can get a cheap harbor freight tq wrench for this job.

If I was home ( Decatur) I'd ride over and we could have this done in a few hours. But I'm currently staying down here in Pensacola.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great info man! this is a great help, I whent to investigate and found that bypass hose. I have a torque wrench and stockpiles of auto fluids, I'll probably get it done Friday or Saturday hopefully. Ill take before and after pictures and pics of whatever other interesting things I find in here. This truck will be one of the nicest 2nd gens on the road if I have to dump the girlfriend and break the bank account. I am pretty damn determined to not only return this truck to it'd former glory, but, also take it to the next level aesthetically and mechanically.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you don't have a Haynes manual, I'd get one. They can be life savers.

It shouldn't take you long to do this job, but don't get in a big rush..take your time, no mistakes.

Hey if the GF is hot, keep her around, make her be your sexy assistant mechanic lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have one of those manuals around here somewhere; it is half soaked in tranny fluid though. I wish I could get her to even learn how to change a tire. She would rather be shopping or painting her nails. She says working on cars is "Gross". FML :doh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
its ok my favorite line when my GF's car breaks is... the thingy sounds funny.... or Harold (local mechanic) said it needs a whatchamacallit.... and side note... misfit. got any idea on how the heck i can remove a snapped intake bolt from the TB? i have tried vice grips and channel locks and everything else i just cant get it to budge. it is sticking up out of the TB i just can get a grip on it. i really dont want to buy a new one.... but if thats the only way i guess thats what ill do. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
How far is it sticking out? Is one of the bolts that hold the TB on?

Do you have a Dremel tool? What I've done in the past is take the dremel, use a cutting wheel, cut a notch in the bolt, and then you can use a big flat head screwdriver to remove it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts