DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Ram 1500 with a 5.2 w/5 speed, I just picked this truck up and will not idle. The Ram has been sitting for quite some time and did have a dead battery, I did read on here that a lot of times the idle issue is due to the battery dying but i also have other issues like the gas tank leaking which I think is a line have not checked it yet but believe its a line due to the rear strap let go and is now being held up by a ratchet strap,The truck also stutters while driving down the road which I believe is do to old gas as well as needed a tune up.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Jeff.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sounds like this one could be fun. Id make sure you have fuel pressure at least 45 lb. at rail, check vacuum pressure. Along with tune up. Well now that I go back and look at your post fix the fuel leak then test. The two biggest issues with these trucks vacuum and fuel pressure then electric. If no cel is on. Especially if they sit alot.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
But you do have one good thing with yours. 5 speed I love mine. Its the one in the middle.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Not a fan ether. The 4x4 has had one. Plus the engine. But now that its retired from construction should have no issues any more.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input, have to wait til Tuesday for a day off and i will fix the leak and then check the pressure. And the only reason i bought this truck was the 5 speed,

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Mine was back seat, 5 speed then price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So fixed the fuel leak and have good pressure, I just ordered the IAC good thing I work for a Dodge dealer. I'm going to have dealer install and also do a tune up. It's really annoying runs pretty good although I can tell it needs a tune up. Hopefully the IAC fixes the problem. Trucks been sitting for quite awhile and body is in great shape.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
With a fuel leak you probably didn't have proper fuel pressure which would cause poor idle and poor running conditions. If that was fixed and you have good fuel pressure the next thing to check is IAC (I see you ordered a new one). If that doesn't fix it, it would be wise to do a tune up before anything else (oem type plugs, wires, new oil and filter, new gas, air filter, whatever else might be needed...). If it then doesn't run right, I'd look at TPS and MAP (I'm not familiar with that engine but if it is fuel injected or throttle body injected it should have either a MAF or MAP and a TPS). Most likely will have a MAP and TPS. O2 sensors in the exhaust could be another culprit. Keep in mind sensors that go bad USUALLY (not always, but most times) will throw a code/light on the dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I put in the IAC and the truck now idles, But still runs rough we narrowed it down to # 5 cylinder, The # 5 only has 75 lbs of pressure. I believe that sitting for 2 years the valve must of been open enough to get some nice old gas varnishing on it to cause it not to close all the way so I am going to try and fog the cylinder with water vapor to try and clean it out. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
spoke with the original owner, He said it was running perfect when he parked it two years ago, only reason he parked it was he bought a new 3500 to tow his horse trailer. I'm hoping it's just build up from sitting with old gas. If not more reason to get the 5.9 project going.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You could try a seafoam flush. You can apparently put it in the crankcase and it cleans out the whole engine internals of any buildup and then drain the oil. I would also run some seafoam in the fuel system to clean the fuel internals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts