DODGE RAM FORUM banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess it must gain a ton of weight when half of it evaporates as it dries...
That's it!! OSMOSIS is to blame!
I got similar comments IRW when I mentioned it to people, I feel your pain. I suppose I should not fill my tank all the way, you know, because that added weight of gas will hurt my mileage :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bedrugs Rock, protect and don't cause rust

Have ya considered a Bedrug? They are ideal for moving furniture (no scratches) and keeps items from shifting around without tiedowns. Also perfect for use with my trucktent (insulates and makes it cozy) and keeps stuff from sliding around. I'm a big fan of them. Had one in my red truck for a decade and still looks nice. Great for moving stuff like furniture you don't wanna scratch too. Check the video out:

The Bedrug is perfect for those who camp like I do.

Just put one in my new truck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well I did it. This truck is never going to be a beauty queen after the tree landed on it, and with almost 300k on the chassis and body (1k on rebuilt motor and transmission), I'm definitely not going to invest a lot of $$ into making it look pretty.

That being said, I wanted it at least all one color and didn't feel like going through all the work to shoot it with paint, so it got the bed liner treatment. I bought the 1 gal kit of Herculiner. After knocking the gloss off it, I did one coat on the back doors since they were white.

As soon as the weather got above freezing again, I rolled on a coat over the entire truck. I have about 1.5 pints left for touch up. Yes, less than one gallon did the entire truck. It has a vinyl bed liner and I run a cap during the winter so I didn't do the inside of the bed. If it was a light color, a second coat may have been needed but since it was originally dark blue, one coat did it all.

·
Super Moderator
34,667 Posts
That actually looks a lot cleaner than it did, and now you can just pressure wash it off when its dirty. Looking forward to seekng how it holds up!

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
I would totally Line-X an older truck to prolong its life and overall appearance if it still ran great. Just the maintenance aspect alone of only having to pressure wash it to clean it. No more waxing, buffing, touch up painting, worrying of parking under trees which threaten bird crap and acorns.

Come to think of it, Line-X the entire truck should be a factory option!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thank you, both of you. That is the plan as far as clean up. I'm curious to see how it holds up. I'm VEMS in rural Maine and there are spots we can't get the ambulance into and use our personal vehicles to get as close as possible (especially ATV\snow mobile accidents). Will see how it holds up to getting knocked around with branches and stuff.

I have Rustoleum liner in the bed of my white 2500, that has lasted ok for the cost but was a lot thinner viscosity when I applied it. The Herculiner seems better quality and at least gives me the impression it will be more durable. The Rustoleum did mark up when I slide the cap on. When I put it on this truck yesterday, it didn't leave a mark. Fingers crossed.

If I was to do this again, I think I would strain out the texture and just apply the "paint." Then again, at 5'2", I might need the texture if I have to stand on the hood to change wiper blades :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just saw one recently that was completely finished in black Line-X. It was a business truck for a Line-X dealer. I love my Line-X liner and can testify to the durability, but the whole truck was a little much for everyday use.

Bet it would be one tough mother off-road though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm thinking I'll do the rockers and grill in a grey suede to help break up all the black, especially since my cap is black as well. Hopefully can do that before the real cold hits.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oops, just realized he was talking about spraying the entire vehicle, not just the bed. A wrap makes more sense IMHO and there are some very cool ones out there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oops, just realized he was talking about spraying the entire vehicle, not just the bed. A wrap makes more sense IMHO and there are some very cool ones out there.
Those are cool and look really good. If this wasn't a 15 year old truck and my budget severely limited, I would have liked to go that route. My choice cost me $68, we will see if it was money well spent or not.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
This fellow opted for Linex instead of buying a new truck. Pretty pricey but compared to the cost of a brand new truck it's not a bad way of looking at it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
^^^^^^^^^sorry, all the files came in upside down.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts