DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will shortly be taking delivery of a 2018 Jeep with the 3.6 liter engine that has the ESS feature. I have found that 2013 to 2018 Rams with the 3.6 liter enginre are also equipped with this feature. I'd like to get some information about any issues with it and whether it is noticeable in operation.
Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
My wife had a ‘16 Grand Cherokee Summit and now an ‘18 GC Summit. 3.6L with ESS. I don’t find it to be very noticeable at all, but my wife hates it. She always pushes the button to turn it off. Necessary to do on every start up.
There are 2 ways to defeat it. One guy has developed a module that will remember the last setting, and will cause the switch to be off of that’s how you left it on your last drive. Over $100 http://www.smartstopstart.com/
Also I’ve read, but have not tried this, but supposedly there is a wire that is connected to the battery under the passenger seat. Just unplug it, and the ESS will be disabled.
Both of these “solutions” have been on jeepgarage forum.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I hate it, my wife hates it, my dad hates it, my mom who is the only one in our family who has a vehicle with it doesn't mind it.

Only the HFE 3.6 Rams should have stop/start unless I'm off base here-I don't think most V6 Rams do. The 2016 and newer Grand Cherokee and Durango are the only ones that all have it because they have the PSU upgrade v6. Rams haven't got the PSU (yet?), or maybe the Etorque 2019s will have them.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/PUG-2015.php

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate it, my wife hates it, my dad hates it, my mom who is the only one in our family who has a vehicle with it doesn't mind it.

Only the HFE 3.6 Rams should have stop/start unless I'm off base here-I don't think most V6 Rams do. The 2016 and newer Grand Cherokee and Durango are the only ones that all have it because they have the PSU upgrade v6. Rams haven't got the PSU (yet?), or maybe the Etorque 2019s will have them.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/PUG-2015.php
OK. Well, at least I know where to buy 'the gadget' if it turns out that I also hate it. Sounds like FCA has it default to 'on' so they can maintain their mileage rating.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
OK. Well, at least I know where to buy 'the gadget' if it turns out that I also hate it. Sounds like FCA has it default to 'on' so they can maintain their mileage rating.

Yeah otherwise the EPA would test with it off. They can't even have it default to the last setting before the vehicle was shut off

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even if you can turn it off you still have extra costs of repairs. Batteries are double . Excessive engine wear on start up. Yes I heard they fixed that. GM claimed for 10 years they fixed the oil consumption on the 5.3.

·
Registered
792 Posts
as mentioned, Stop/Start on Ram 1500's has only been found on the '13+ HFE gas 3.6 models, and they are pretty rare ;)

depending on yur driving patterns, it may be more or less obtrusive...
for me, since I live in a 'rural' area with very few stoplights, the Stop/Start only happens once in a while anyways..

Waylon- the battery is not "double" - where did you hear that ?
also - excessive engine wear ?? what's your reference for that ?

the battery IS a larger capacity 800 CCA iirc up from 625 or 650 ..
the starter, ring gear, wiring, etc have also been upgraded by the RAM engineers.

I have had Zero issues with mine after 6 years and almost 60k miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts