DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What type of gas are you using?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I did find a post that discussed ethanol a little bit, and found it very interesting. I do have a question. Does anybody live in the Los Angeles area, and know of ethanol free gas stations? I can't find any! It's amazing once you learn about something like this and start reading, it's sad we actually use ethanol when there are far more negatives than positives. What are some pros and cons arguments for both? Am I just reading skewed reviews from interest groups and getting the wrong idea? I also started a poll to see who was using 89 and 91 with and without ethanol. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I would use ethanol free if it were readily available but in my area they area few and far between.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
I think 87 would be a better poll option than either 91 or 93 since the manual lists 89 as recommended, 87 as acceptable, and doesn't say anything about 91 or 93.

But if you want to know who is wasting their money on premium I guess that's fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Thunderhorse, I do want to see who is getting 91 and 93. Oddly enough not many stations have 87 around here, and the dealer told me to use 91. None of it makes sense, just trying to get others thoughts and opinions on it. I'll try to add 87 to the poll if it lets me.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
I personally use Mid Grade gasoline w/ ethanol

I recall a gas station in West Virginia, it may have been a Marathon station
It did have gas without ethanol, but the price was as high as the Premium gasoline with ethanol

The worst thing about gasoline with ethanol, is that you don't want to leave it in a gas tank that is going to be stored for 3 or more months
The gasoline goes bad, it gums up the bottom of the tank, fuel pump, & carburetor
You wouldn't want to smell the odor either, my Harley gas tanks have to pulled & thoroughly flushed out. I am glad that i have a 2nd set of tanks

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Thanks Thunderhorse, I do want to see who is getting 91 and 93. Oddly enough not many stations have 87 around here, and the dealer told me to use 91. None of it makes sense, just trying to get others thoughts and opinions on it. I'll try to add 87 to the poll if it lets me.
I believe while the manual indicates 87 is acceptable, 89 is preferred and is expected to provide the optimal performance. Since 89 is apparently not widely available in your area, the dealer is most likely recommending 91 in lieu of 89 to obtain the performance 89 is expected to produce. You will not hurt anything by running 87 and you might try it to see how it does for you, but if you are towing or hauling heavy loads on a regular basis, you will be better served with 89 or in your case 91.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
From the 2014 owners manual

5.7L Engines
This engine is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when using
high quality unleaded gasoline having
an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer
recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum
performance. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended,
as it will not provide any benefit over regular
gasoline in these engines

3.6L/6.4L Engine
These engines are designed to meet all
emissions regulations and provide excellent
fuel economy and performance when
using high quality unleaded “regular”
gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The
use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will
not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these
engines.

it also reads

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to
your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at
high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is
required. Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such
as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience
these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline
before considering service for the vehicle

if you noticed, it reads that you should change BRANDS, not Octane

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On another note, does anybody know how to add a choice in a poll? I see 87 really should be in the poll. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here in Central Pennsylvania 10% Ethanol ratio is in all gasoline from 87-93 octane. I personally will only use 89 octane purchased from a top tier supplier, Shell, Mobil or Exxon. I have calculated average MPG at 17 with a combination of city/highway driving. I do not supplement with any additives. Current mileage is just over 5K.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only ethanol free fuel we can get here in Vegas is 100 octane pump gas from Rebel (or race gas from the track).

Everything here is 10%.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I know my 2012 Equinox 2.4 gets 2+MPG better using "unleaded gasoline". Daughter lives in OK. Out there they have "ethanol free gas" all over the place for about 10 cents a gallon more. The first place in OK I fill up with "unleaded gasoline" and MPG starts climbing. Hopefully this ethanol farce will stop soon. I'm tired of my tax dollars subsidizing the ethanol plants.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I try to use ethanol free gas when I can but they are starting to disappear around my area. It is normally only 89 that ethanol free also.
I do use 89 over 87... I can also tell a difference in 89 ethanol and 89 ethanol free, truck just seems to run better without the ethanol.

·
Registered
243 Posts
While I would buy ethanol free as it is available where I live (large boating area and I guess those engines want e-free too)...it is about 20 cents more than premium grade. I did a test for one tank of 89 e-free and couldn't see any additional benefit from a MPG or performance perspective. In the long run from tank deposits/gunk...perhaps.

What I believe is more important is buying Top Tier brands (google it) versus the cheapest 89 you can find...they aren't all the same.

·
Super Moderator
34,749 Posts
When I was in college in Oklahoma, there were a few stations around town that had ethanol free gas in your choice of octane ratings. It was more expensive, but I always believed it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol, the only fuel around here that doesn't have ethanol is premium which is about .20 cents more a litre.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello all. I did find a post that discussed ethanol a little bit, and found it very interesting. I do have a question. Does anybody live in the Los Angeles area, and know of ethanol free gas stations? I can't find any! It's amazing once you learn about something like this and start reading, it's sad we actually use ethanol when there are far more negatives than positives. What are some pros and cons arguments for both? Am I just reading skewed reviews from interest groups and getting the wrong idea? I also started a poll to see who was using 89 and 91 with and without ethanol. Thanks.
On Long Island most stations carry 87, 89, or 93. They all contain 10% ethanol.

http://www.pure-gas.org

http://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
On Long Island most stations carry 87, 89, or 93. They all contain 10% ethanol.

http://www.pure-gas.org

http://www.toptiergas.com/
Thats because you live in (NYC area) a hardcore liberal society, tree hugger`s and whatnot included, that WANT ethanol. They think its good for the environment, which is pure bullsh!t. Ethanol drives up food prices, fact, hurts engines, fact.

Upstate NY has non ethanol stations all over the place. I live on the border of NY/PA, tons of non ethanol stations on both sides of the border. I only pay 10 cents more a gallon for non-ethanol gas. I burn the 91 octane non ethanol, i`ve tried both many times, 91 octane "non-ethanol" gets me 4+ mpg more. And non ethanol gasoline DOSEN`T attract moisture like ethanol gas does.

And when you buy ethanol gas that says "contains up to 10% ethanol", they`re lying..! I`ve tested every gas station in my area, some of them contain way way way more than 10%. When you consider that, it explains why vehicles run like shit. You also lose up to 30% of your fuel economy with ethanol. So, if you take someone using more than 10% ethanol, car runs like shit, mpg`s in the dumpster, that explains the complaints. Now, take someone using only 10% maximum, he`ll get a little better mpg.

Take into consideration when someone says they dont see much of a difference in mpg between non-ethanol vs ethanol that is "only 10%" blend, they are closer to regular gasoline than the guy that gets highly blended 30 to 40% and gets horrible mpg. Then ya got the guy`s that switch to non ethanol, they`ll get a huge jump in mpg after burning 30 to 40% ethanol blends.

It all depends on the facts... meening, who runs what when where and how.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, I live in Western NY (near Buffalo) and I have no problem finding ethanol free gas. It's about 20 cents more per gallon....no big deal in my book. The only issue is the gas station I go to (and trust) only has 91 octane ethanol free gas. I rather just put in 89, but the 91 won't do any harm. I just want the ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The only ethanol free fuel we can get here in Vegas is 100 octane pump gas from Rebel (or race gas from the track).

Everything here is 10%.
Race gas is usually leaded. (most racing gas usually is)
Be very careful using leaded gas, that will take the cat converters & O2 sensors out in a heartbeat.

Just some informative info:
Sunoco Race Fuels | Race Fuel 101: Lead and Leaded Racing Fuels
http://www.racegas.com/article/38

1 - 20 of 38 Posts