Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Non-Ethanol

Votes: 6 85.7%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading about ethanol vs. non-ethanol gas. It seems from my short research that ethanol is not very good for motors. Can anyone verify this true/false? Should we avoid ethanol gas or does it really matter? :4-dontknow:

I know here where I live (NW Florida) I can get 89, 91, & 93 w/o ethanol but is it worth the effort and money? I am asking in general, but specifically as well. I have a superchips cortex tuner running the 87 canned tune- till I run out of gas then going to reprogram with the 91 canned tune on 93 octane. So, I was wanting to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Lots of debate on this issue. I think the one argument about fuel containing ethanol concerning its alleged damaging effects is overdone. It will attract more moisture if it sits idle for longer periods. Solution...don't let it sit or at least use fuel stabilizer to minimize effects. I've been using ethanol laced fuel for decades in my area. I have used it in racing motorcycles and high performance cars/trucks. I keep my vehicles for a long time. I can honestly say I haven't seen what I can detect as an ethanol caused problem. Frankly I think the horror stories are exaggerated as to the real numbers out there.

One issue is probably not debateable. Ethanol laced fuel has slightly lower energy producing capability. There will probably be a tiny bit of fuel mileage reduction. I'm not sure that I can notice it in real world use in my bikes or 4-wheeled vehicles. My Ram has gotten the claimed 20mpg on the highway on several occasions in its 6,000 miles of use to this point running 87 octane ethanol regular and driving 70-72 mph. Would I get 21 or 22 with non-ethanol fuels? I don't know. Would it be worth the difference in price? Probably not.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The gas station about 2 miles down the road from me sell non-ethonol gas
95% of the time I purchase from them, I avg 14.5 with their gas
If I do not I avg 13.5
When I first joined this forum somebody was asking the same thing and I told him I avg 13.5 - 14.5, now I only avg 14.5
If you check out this site HERE it will list where you get non-ethanol gas :smileup:

**EDIT**
By the way, I pay the same for non-ethanol gas as I do for ethanol gas

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
ethanol has rusted my Harley gas tanks on the inside, you have to keep them full if you don't want it to happen to you
It also ate up the rubber in the on/off fuel petcock & it messed up my new S&S carburetor

I can't blame it all on the ethanol, it also had Winter gas in it, which contains a lot more Butane than Summer gas has

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used ethanol gas in all my vehicles with no problems for years. I just switched to non ethanol and will run a few tank fulls to see the mileage difference. I'll figure up the math and post here if its worth the dime extra a gallon.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know it screwed up the carb on my boat. $350 to fix it. When I dropped it off to get fixed there were 2 boats just like mine going in and one coming out of the service dept for the same thing. Mechanic said stay away from ethanol. I even used treatment in the gas. As for my truck i ran my last one for 8 years with no effect at all and it sits idle for 30 days at a time. I will go out of my way to find gas without it for my boat but not for my truck or car. I am going to start using non-ethanol in my lawn equipment to. It dry rots all the rubber gas lines and gas cap seals.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used ethanol gas in all my vehicles with no problems for years. I just switched to non ethanol and will run a few tank fulls to see the mileage difference. I'll figure up the math and post here if its worth the dime extra a gallon.
Sounds good let me know what you discover. I have been oblivious to this for years but since I got a vehicle I really do love, I don't want anything bad to happen b/c of the gas I am adding to the tank. I just bought a full tank of 93 @ $3.29/gal. I still need to add the 91 canned tune to the truck. The gas I added had ethanol. Hope it is okay...

I know it screwed up the carb on my boat. $350 to fix it. When I dropped it off to get fixed there were 2 boats just like mine going in and one coming out of the service dept for the same thing. Mechanic said stay away from ethanol. I even used treatment in the gas. As for my truck i ran my last one for 8 years with no effect at all and it sits idle for 30 days at a time. I will go out of my way to find gas without it for my boat but not for my truck or car. I am going to start using non-ethanol in my lawn equipment to. It dry rots all the rubber gas lines and gas cap seals.
MAN sorry to hear that!!! I don't have money to drop like that b/c of ethanol gas. Appreciate the input. That is why I asked this question, so I will know what is good or bad for my truck. I didn't care so much about it while I had that kia for the last 3 years. I traded it in for the truck...blah, blah, blah..

ethanol has rusted my Harley gas tanks on the inside, you have to keep them full if you don't want it to happen to you
It also ate up the rubber in the on/off fuel petcock & it messed up my new S&S carburetor

I can't blame it all on the ethanol, it also had Winter gas in it, which contains a lot more Butane than Summer gas has
That sucks... Sorry bout that. There is a lot I don't know yet and I didn't know there was a difference between summer and winter gas.... Oh well... I guess we can't all know everything right... Not sure if we get winter gas here in FLA??? It may not be cold enough that we need it, but IDK???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ethanol is an additive to the normal gas you put into your engine, it is on corn base. There are a lot of theories on ethanol, and the government things it is better for the environment. The thing with ethanol is, it doesn't produces as much energy as normal gas and because of this you need more of it to produce the same amount of power which results in worse gas milage (amount in the difference of gas milage depends on the type of engine you have, sports car or truck makes a big difference) It also takes a lot of corn to make the ethanol, which means there is a lot of farm land needed for the production of it, which results more farm land needed so less room for trees so less trees for the conversion of exhaust fumes. Plus it takes a lot of energy(gas/diesel) of creating the ethanol from the corn, so in the end it will even out or is worse for the environment. So you have to look at it with the long term view instead of the short term run, which is what the government is doing. But that is a whole other story.

As far as it goes for your engine, the 4.7L V8 in the Ram is build for it (thats why it says FlexFuel) this means the material that is used for building the engine block is ethanol proof. For the other engines (and as stated by others) as you just use it on a frequent bases there is nothing to be afraid for. Yes ethanol causes corrosion to the engine block, but this will not happen for years due to the technology in the build of the engines and materials. The engineers already took the corrosion into account, older engines would have the corrosion symptoms earlier such as other types of engines like two strokes and motorcycle engines are more sensitive to the ethanol. Thats why if you put engines away for a longer amount of time, such as putting up the bike for the winter, you need to put additives in them. But for a car or a truck you shouldn't be worried

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ethanol is an additive to the normal gas you put into your engine, it is on corn base. There are a lot of theories on ethanol, and the government things it is better for the environment. The thing with ethanol is, it doesn't produces as much energy as normal gas and because of this you need more of it to produce the same amount of power which results in worse gas milage (amount in the difference of gas milage depends on the type of engine you have, sports car or truck makes a big difference) It also takes a lot of corn to make the ethanol, which means there is a lot of farm land needed for the production of it, which results more farm land needed so less room for trees so less trees for the conversion of exhaust fumes. Plus it takes a lot of energy(gas/diesel) of creating the ethanol from the corn, so in the end it will even out or is worse for the environment. So you have to look at it with the long term view instead of the short term run, which is what the government is doing. But that is a whole other story.

As far as it goes for your engine, the 4.7L V8 in the Ram is build for it (thats why it says FlexFuel) this means the material that is used for building the engine block is ethanol proof. For the other engines (and as stated by others) as you just use it on a frequent bases there is nothing to be afraid for. Yes ethanol causes corrosion to the engine block, but this will not happen for years due to the technology in the build of the engines and materials. The engineers already took the corrosion into account, older engines would have the corrosion symptoms earlier such as other types of engines like two strokes and motorcycle engines are more sensitive to the ethanol. Thats why if you put engines away for a longer amount of time, such as putting up the bike for the winter, you need to put additives in them. But for a car or a truck you shouldn't be worried
:rep::rep::rep:

DUDE!!! Great explanation, very thorough. I think I understand better now. I am glad you commented. Appreciate it. I think I will avoid ethanol from now on. I have the HEMI and it drinks down the fuel so...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.