DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 1500 SLT. My AC stopped blowing cold air and my mechanic charged up the coolant with dye. He told me he couldn't find a leak externally, which probably meant the problem was in the evaporator core - a repair that will run about $1000 after taxes. I'm a newbie, and although I trust my mechanic, I would really love some feedback from this group. I've got 136k mi on my truck. I love it, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to sink $1000 into an AC repair?

Dave

·
Premium Member
32,591 Posts
There are 2 hoses that go from the front of the engine to the firewall & into the climate control system.

After driving enough to get the engine up to the normal operating temperature
Open the hood with the engine running & grab those 2 hoses, one should be hotter than the other.
The hotter hose is the supply hose, the cooler one is the return hose.
Somehow mark one of the hoses & where ir connects up

Before you do anything else, reverse the hoses & let the coolant run backwards for a couple of days, that should break the blockage up a bit.
Then after disconnecting the hoses again, run a garden hose with low pressure into the return hose & out of the supply line & into a bucket, that method is called Back Flushing the system.
If you don't have a garden hose, compressed air will work as well if not better

watch this video to better understand the back flushing method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcL_0TWeZJY

·
Registered
745 Posts
not sure why GT is suggesting a heater core flush since it doesnt sound like that's in any way related to yur problem ..

while yur mechanic may be right, I'd want a second - more decisive - opinion before dropping that coin $$

·
Premium Member
32,591 Posts
I misread the post, i missed that it had an internal Freon leak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts