DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......It'll happen. The engine will just have had enough and die. Hopefully far down the road, but I like to plan ahead. So I love my 3rd Gen the body style is IMO the best looking and I like the feel, the way she drives, all of it. My one complaint is the sadness of not having the 390 HP of the 4th Gens. So when the time comes and my baby is all paid off and getting old (I drive alot so the miles will get up there quick) I was thinking of swapping engines for a new hemi. Not so much worried about price as I know it's going to be a pretty penny. I'm curious to know what it will take to complete the job. Obviously I'll need a new engine by then probably a new tranny and PCM. but what else? Anyone else ever done this? looked into it? Looking at doing it at 200k. At 85 right now but i was at 70 6-7 months ago and that will probably be the continuing trend. So I think at about halfway there is the right time to begin to research and prepare. So any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I think u would be better rebuilding ur current motor with performance parts if and when it does die.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you can do stuff to the 3rd gen that won't let any 4th gen's beat you in a race...I have seen none beat me yet...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a rebuild does sound like a better idea, plus I have this feeling It will be cheaper. Only issue after that is weight.....shes a big girl.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
You have the choice of building a forged bottom end and staying with stock displacement, or going stroker (but costs you more and will REQUIRE custom tuning).

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Just rebuild your current 5.7 & install a performance Street & Strip camshaft in it :)

2008 stock Hemi
The 5.7 L (345 cu in) Hemi in the Ram delivered 345 hp (257.3 kW) and 375 lb·ft (508 N·m)

Gen 4 HEMI
The 5.7 L HEMI in a Ram, 390 hp (291 kW), 407 lb·ft (552 N·m)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts