DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had bear problems?
I have 10 acres in the mountains to camp on. I leave my trailer up there all summer. Last week while I was gone a bear let herself into my trailer to have a look around. She was rude enough to make her own door instead of using the existing one.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spent the weekend repairing the damage and drinking beer.

Reactions: gofishn

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Share any bear (or another animal) troubles you've had while camping.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
:LOL:

a couple of weeks ago, someone was complaining about a bird on the radio antenna

I guess you have his story beat :)

Nice patch job !!

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Oh damn! It does amaze me the strength and determination of bears, that's just crazy. What a great job on the repair though. Aside from the debris on the ground in the final pic, you can't really tell it even happened.

I camp a lot in the Appalachians of western Maryland. We've seen bear, but fortunately haven't had any problems with them. We did have someone who left a big plastic Walmart size canister of cheese puffs out one night. Some raccoons came thru the site and ate well that night. We were all laughing imagining them with cheesy faces. I'm usually pretty good about making sure the campsite is in order at night before I turn in. But that night I turned in earlier then some of the other campers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Your example with pictures is shutting the rest of us up. We had one scratch a tree next to our pop up at Flagg Ranch between Tetons and Yellowstone huffing and puffing. Next morning a sign on the door of the gas station area noted sighting of a Grizzly in the campground. We did have loud people come in late and they cooked bacon you could smell all over. A classic no in Grizzly country.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I had a bear try to get in the box of my truck. It tore the rubber seal on the passenger side of the tonneau cover. Found out from the park warden that it was after the 5 gal gas and 20# propane bottle in the back corner of the box. It also left some scratches on the side of the box. Luckily I was able to glue the weather stripping and buff out the scratches. They told me that the bears associate the smell of gas and propane with food. I had left it locked in the box to be safe from the 2 legged bears.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If they think they smell or see food it's a problem. I hunted on Drummond Island for over thirty years out of an ancient log cabin my BIL owned. There were always black bears around until the hibernated starting in November.

He never had an issue with bears breaking in until one year he let a couple of relatives use the place for a couple of weeks. They left a trash bag of garbage inside and a bear busted through the window to get in and broke the door off of it's hinges to get out.

Moral - Keep the food odors and garbage away and out of site. I doubt he smelled the garbage from outside but we figure he recognized the trash bag for what it was.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:LOL:

a couple of weeks ago, someone was complaining about a bird on the radio antenna

I guess you have his story beat :)

Nice patch job !!
I would have rather had the bird on my antenna

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I don't have a bear problem I have no trespassing notes and posted notes all over my property. It seems, the bears in our region are educated and able to read.

you can be glad, you was not in the camper- that would had been horrible!

Great repair job!

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have a bear problem I have no trespassing notes and posted notes all over my property. It seems, the bears in our region are educated and able to read.

you can be glad, you was not in the camper- that would had been horrible!

Great repair job!
They wouldn't have been a problem if I had been there. I had a different spot on the property and the bears came through that spot while I was sleeping. My dog went ape shit and would have attacked the two bears if I would have opened the door. The bears avoided that spot for the past right years because of that. I'm hoping they come around my trailer again while I'm there so my dog can chase them from my new spot without leaving the trailer.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
They wouldn't have been a problem if I had been there. I had a different spot on the property and the bears came through that spot while I was sleeping. My dog went ape shit and would have attacked the two bears if I would have opened the door. The bears avoided that spot for the past right years because of that. I'm hoping they come around my trailer again while I'm there so my dog can chase them from my new spot without leaving the trailer.

WOW- what kind of dogs do you have? Ovcharkas? I doubt, something else would have a chance against one or more bears. I'd make sure, I have the right gun and the right ammunition.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW- what kind of dogs do you have? Ovcharkas? I doubt, something else would have a chance against one or more bears. I'd make sure, I have the right gun and the right ammunition.
I've got Weimaraners. They don't pay when they think their human is threatened. My female chased them off from the inside of the trailer. I've never heard a dog sound so viscous before until I heard her go into protection mode, not even in the movies.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Your example with pictures is shutting the rest of us up. We had one scratch a tree next to our pop up at Flagg Ranch between Tetons and Yellowstone huffing and puffing. Next morning a sign on the door of the gas station area noted sighting of a Grizzly in the campground. We did have loud people come in late and they cooked bacon you could smell all over. A classic no in Grizzly country.
I don't think I would camp in a pop up in bear country. We've been in some campgrounds in Canada where the bears were so bad that no soft sided campers were allowed. We've had bears within 5' of our camper a few times over the years and that convinced me that I'll stay away from pop ups.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've tented in bear country many times and a key rule is no food or candy in the tent. Always locked away in the vehicle. Never, touch wood had a problem.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't think I would camp in a pop up in bear country. We've been in some campgrounds in Canada where the bears were so bad that no soft sided campers were allowed. We've had bears within 5' of our camper a few times over the years and that convinced me that I'll stay away from pop ups.
Oh, we have those two including Yellowstone Fishing Bridge and nothing soft over in the Cooke City area as they had a couple of tenters get killed by Grizzlies a few years ago in separate incidents.

Looking at those pictures, obviously a hard side won't necessarily deter a determined bear...and the pics were only black bears.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Oh, we have those two including Yellowstone Fishing Bridge and nothing soft over in the Cooke City area as they had a couple of tenters get killed by Grizzlies a few years ago in separate incidents.

Looking at those pictures, obviously a hard side won't necessarily deter a determined bear...and the pics were only black bears.
It takes a bear a little longer to get through a hard side so I have time to get my pistol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts