DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
I have a Remington Model 81 in .35 Remington that would be perfect for bear. That reminds me I need to get my hunting license before turkey season pretty soon here

·
Registered
288 Posts
I crush a chlorine tablet (like the ones I use in our pool) and sprinkle the powder around my vehicle(s), tent and campsite. One whiff and bears are off...it burns. Keeps the rodents away too. Saw several cars busted into at a trailhead by bears but one old truck left alone...the one with chlorine tablets ground to powder. under it.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I crush a chlorine tablet (like the ones I use in our pool) and sprinkler the powder around my vehicle(s), tent and campsite. One whiff and bears are off...it burns. Keeps the rodents away too. Saw several cars busted into at a trailhead by bears but one old truck left alone...the one with chlorine tablets ground to powder. under it.
I've never heard of using chlorine before. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I crush a chlorine tablet (like the ones I use in our pool) and sprinkler the powder around my vehicle(s), tent and campsite. One whiff and bears are off...it burns. Keeps the rodents away too. Saw several cars busted into at a trailhead by bears but one old truck left alone...the one with chlorine tablets ground to powder. under it.

Well that's interesting ! :thk:

Of course all the bears are sleeping up here right now though. I'll have to make a note for spring time !

·
Registered
288 Posts
I get that

Well that's interesting ! :thk:

Of course all the bears are sleeping up here right now though. I'll have to make a note for spring time !
Yeah well, snow is deep up there. Not so much here in California, bears don't hibernate in much of the state. Was bow hunting in Alberta for moose, elk and deer when I saw this guy. Made a quick sprint to cut him off, knelt down to nock and arrow, attach my release and when I looked up all i could see were his legs. Went to full draw at ten feet. Canada is amazing! Kinda creepy at elevation deep in grizz country knowing you can't wear a sidearm though.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I found out that the fires at Yosemite displaced some bears so they were relocated to my area. This greatly increased the bear population with bears accustomed to being able to steal food from humans. Not really pleased about them doing that and not letting us know that was happening. If we knew we could have been better prepared.

Reactions: tabber02

·
Registered
21 Posts
If they think they smell or see food it's a problem. I hunted on Drummond Island for over thirty years out of an ancient log cabin my BIL owned. There were always black bears around until the hibernated starting in November.

He never had an issue with bears breaking in until one year he let a couple of relatives use the place for a couple of weeks. They left a trash bag of garbage inside and a bear busted through the window to get in and broke the door off of it's hinges to get out.

Moral - Keep the food odors and garbage away and out of site. I doubt he smelled the garbage from outside but we figure he recognized the trash bag for what it was.
Being a fellow Michigander, troublesome bears are a part of life up here in the north, this we know. They get big on Drummond.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Yukon and frequent Alaska. Bears are unpredictable. They are very determined if they catch a small they like.

I have tented for an extended time in grizzly country and had to have a food tent set up with an electric fence around it.

No problems at that campsite.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cabin in the Tahoe National Forest. 12 bear "visits" in 11 mos. Best one was watching one roll a plastic drum around and jump on it trying to open it. This little one was literally 10 ft away. My experience is they don't want contact and will run away. But just in case I always approached with my 12ga loaded with 1-1/4oz hollow point slugs. Nice repair on the trailer BTW!

I8rtfrtf-90346804.jpeg

21 - 34 of 34 Posts