DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know for sure, how accurare the EVIC in the 2011 Ram is for gas mileage and distance to empty figures.
How does the vehicle computer come up with the figures?:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've had my 2011 since the last day of August and I've kept track of my mileage every single fill up. I've kept both the EVIC and my by hand calculations. It appears that the EVIC gives me anywhere from .5 - 1 mpg better than what I figure.
The EVIC's DTE is based on what mileage it's figuring you at. It's as accurate as the mileage is..... so IMO it's flawed, or off by a little bit. At least mine is.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yea mine seems to be about .5 higher than actual as well. I've only ran 6 or 7 tanks of gas through it but it has been right there the whole time. On the dte I ran it down to 7 and then was able to put 24 gallons of gas in, so I would say its a little conservative there. But still close enough to know I won't get it that low again

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I agree with everyone else. It's fairly close, but not completely accurate.

I would be cautious of the DTE, as if you're counting on it, you could find yourself sitting on the side of the road waiting for a buddy to bring you a gas can....

Exco

·
Registered
95 Posts
That DTE calculation seems to be a bit of an oddity. While my 2010 was in the shop this past week, I had a 2012 rental to use. Since I didn't know when I was getting my truck back I was reluctant to fill it up like I normally do, and opted instead for 1/4 tank fills. I wasn't really interested in giving the rental company "extra" gas.

Anyway, on the first 1/4 tank fill, it was getting near empty. The DTE calculation was 36 km (~21 miles) when I pulled in my driveway for the night and the low fuel light just came on. The next morning when I started it up, the EVIC immediately prompted the "LOW FUEL" display which roughly means less than 16 km (10 miles) of fuel left. Weird....

My gas gauge seems to do the same thing. I'll always seem to have more fuel in the tank when I shut the truck off for the night than when I start it up again in the morning.... Yet to figure that one out too.....

JJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find the EVIC is as accurate as hand calculations. Filling the tank from different levels can cause gas pumps to kick off sooner due to the gas foaming up. Unless you can get the exact level from fill-up to fill-up, hand calc's can be skewed. As far as DTE, I've never ran it empty to find out!

Just remember that when the gas is sloshing around in the tank, its hard for the computer to know the exact amount of fuel, so the EVIC is really only an estimate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gas expands and contracts with temperature. Cool mornings = less gas.

That DTE calculation seems to be a bit of an oddity. While my 2010 was in the shop this past week, I had a 2012 rental to use. Since I didn't know when I was getting my truck back I was reluctant to fill it up like I normally do, and opted instead for 1/4 tank fills. I wasn't really interested in giving the rental company "extra" gas.

Anyway, on the first 1/4 tank fill, it was getting near empty. The DTE calculation was 36 km (~21 miles) when I pulled in my driveway for the night and the low fuel light just came on. The next morning when I started it up, the EVIC immediately prompted the "LOW FUEL" display which roughly means less than 16 km (10 miles) of fuel left. Weird....

My gas gauge seems to do the same thing. I'll always seem to have more fuel in the tank when I shut the truck off for the night than when I start it up again in the morning.... Yet to figure that one out too.....

JJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts