DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myy 2013 Tradesman 1500 has a voltage indicator in the EVIC.Does it measure battery voltage or alternator output?I ask because I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip,with no problems(27.5mpg avg.!!!).I check the voltage reading periodicaly while driving,and it always showed 13-14v.After returning home,the truck sat for one day.When I went to start it yesterday,the battery was completely dead.I am not begrudging the need to replace the battery,as it is the original battery,and my truck has 91,000 miles on it.
I am assuming the voltage reading in the EVIC is for alternator output.Please educate me!!!
Clark

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It is battery voltage, turn the key on and turn your headlights on without the engine running, it should drop over time - at least that is how they have been for years :)

Alternator output can be measured in volts but usually when you talk alt output it is in amps which is current. The alt output voltage reading is controlled by a voltage regulator. So you can have say 14 volts but be putting out over 100 amps if the battery is low, or you can have 14 volts and put out a couple of amps if the battery is charged. They can lengthen the life of the battery by controlling it's temperature via a blanket (or similar) and/or a battery temp sensor and if the temp is high or low you can change the charge rate to not overheat and damage the battery. That is why the last so much longer than in the old models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,guys.I was lucky to get 5 years out of the OEM battery.I will put a new battery in today and do a system check.
Clark

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
A way to check would be to check the voltage without the engine running then start the engine and see if they are the same. Generally if you are reading 13-14 volts that is the alternator output. A good battery should read less then 13 volts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new battery solved the problem.Engine off voltage is 12v,engine running is 14v.
With that done,I can get to changing the front brakes and all four shocks.It's amazing how long the OEM stuff lasts.
Thanks again for all the info.
Clark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts