DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They lure U in to thinking U have a four wheel drive vehicle when in reality U don't. These evil things lay in wait to strike when you least expect it. They will rear their ugly heads when you leave the relative safety of the paved road and turn your "4X4" into a huge boat anchor with 2 wheels spinning for traction. These evil things must be banished from your 4X4 realm and sent to the flaming pit of hell never to be seen again. Just kidding, having a little fun with these useless open differentials I had ripped out of my new and improved 4X4 Ram. Anyone need a free boat anchor?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
You didnt know that it was like this? for offroading or driving in deep snow it would be good but would suck in awd on a snow packed hwy towing a trailer at hwy speed......my 2 wheels spinning works good for what I use it for. I guess it all depends on what you use your vehicle for

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
What gearing is it? If its higher i would post it in the classifieds.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didnt know that it was like this? for offroading or driving in deep snow it would be good but would suck in awd on a snow packed hwy towing a trailer at hwy speed......my 2 wheels spinning works good for what I use it for. I guess it all depends on what you use your vehicle for
I had an idea the open diffs wouldn't cut it, but with the size and weight of my quad cab 2500 with 8ft bed it was incredibly easy to get stuck with open diffs. I was used to my old 90' Ford F150 single cab that came with LS lockers standard which was much, much harder to get stuck. A light weight 2 WD would be better than my Dodge 2500 offroad. Lockers are a must IMO.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I had an idea the open diffs wouldn't cut it, but with the size and weight of my quad cab 2500 with 8ft bed it was incredibly easy to get stuck with open diffs. I was used to my old 90' Ford F150 single cab that came with LS lockers standard which was much, much harder to get stuck. A light weight 2 WD would be better than my Dodge 2500 offroad. Lockers are a must IMO.
true enough, didnt realize you had a 2500

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Actually yes, he is. Like all '4x4's these days, if you're on a sheet of ice, only 2 tires will spin, they will be opposite ends/sides of the truck. A LSD will try to make the tires to rotate at the same speed, but they only do this to a certain extent, so you'll still only have 2 tires spinning most of the time, they may just alternate sides, but once they get traction, everything rotates together. Only a true locker (air or hydraulic) will force all 4 tires spin together regardless of how much they slip on the surface; you only do this at very low speeds as you can snap axles if you make a tire spin while the other is planted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Must i replace both front and rear on my 4th gen 1500 4x4 or can i just put a detroit locker in the rear for no other reason but to have a posi rear end?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts