DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok looking for some help here. I have a 03 1500 5.7 witch spun a rod bearing after 287k. So i pulled the motor and did a full rebuild all stock no upgrades. put it all back together and started it up its blowing smoke and oil out the exhust like a freight train i mean bad drippin out of the pipes,, so i figure head gaskets so i pulled the heads put new gaskets on but i also found oil around the intake ports on the head and the intake. So my question is where do you all think its coiming from. now keep in mind im talking alot of oil and yes its oil blowing all over the underside of the truck and puddling on the shop floor, now i know some of you are thinking rings and so am i , would bad oil rings cause oil to be pulled up into the intake . and yes coming out of both sides of motor . i pulled the plugs and i think all but too had oil on them.. so does anyone have anything besides pulling the motor and tearing it back down. im 51 years old and built a few motors in my time but have never come across this problem, what am i for gettring

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe hemi head bolts are torque to yield if I remember correctly and so they would need to be replaced after they have been torqued down. Plus it’s not a bad idea to get new ones even if they aren’t torque to yield just to be safe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hemiram5.7 is right. I looked into it and you really DO want to replace the head bolts because they are torque to yield (TTY). All of the engines I have rebuilt are so old you can reuse head bolts over and over and over again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts