DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not necessarily new to Cummings, but new to 4th gen and specifically my 2014 3500 6.7 with an exhaust brake.

Any specifics about the proper use of it would be great! Stuff like when to use, when not to use, will using it in specific situations might be bad for my engine or trans, etc, and anything else you all might think of.

Thanks!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had an 08 so it didn't have the dual stage EB just on and off. One word of advice.. don't use it in the snow. Besides that, I used mine 100% of the time, and when I finally tuned the truck I didn't have to turn it on every time I started the truck, it retained it's "on" position memory until I pushed the button to turn it off.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Pretty much what gusman said.
Under slippery conditions it can cause problems. The arse end will slide around a bit.

The only way you would have a mechanical problem is to 'never' use it.
The VGT needs to be exercised in order to have a long trouble free life, so using the EB is actually a good thing.

Also...
As you probably have noticed.... The EB does its best work when the trans is in Tow/haul mode.
-Ej- :beerchug:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, use it all the time, start the truck then hit the button. Love it in the mountains (saves your brakes) when pulling heavy. I've got in the habit of using the full mode.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just reached 130,000 miles on mine pulling loads 80% of the time like the one below and using my exhaust brake almost all the time, I've never changed brake pads.
Today with these many miles, I still have 80% brakes on my steer axle and 90% brakes on my drive axle.

One "side effect" is much more DEF consumption when using the "jake".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Would it be true to say - with the new dual stage (auto option) for the EB, it's best to leave it on auto for everyday driving and flick it into full for tow/haul? My new Ram is my first diesel, so this is relevant for me too.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Would it be true to say - with the new dual stage (auto option) for the EB, it's best to leave it on auto for everyday driving and flick it into full for tow/haul?
The owners manual explains the function, but it's totally up to 'you' to decide when, if, and how to used the exhaust brake feature. You certainly cant hurt the powertrain.
Personally, I find that having the exhaust brake on in certain city or stop & go driving situations gets rather annoying.

The interesting feature about the 'auto' setting is that it will only apply when the brake is depressed OR the truck begins to accelerate when your foot is not on the accelerator pedal.
Kind of like a down hill only cruise control. :smiley_thumbs_up:

BTW; I like to see antiquated and forgotten threads re-opened.
Nice!
-Ej-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can someone explain the difference in the Auto and Full modes of EB, I tow a 12K 5er and going down some steep mountains it quits working while doing 15 to 25 mph. I use the tow haul and the EB on. I have to ride the brakes all the way down the mountain.as the EB seems to quit working all together is this normal?? I have a 2015 RAM 3500 DRW

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't have a RAM with an E.B. but did have a class A motor home with one and it only worked at a certain higher RPM. Perhaps there is and adjustment on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for reply, I drove Kenworths all of my life until i retired and they would come on when you touched the brake or let off the gas petal. I think you are correct about the RPM on this RAM because I just drove it for a test drive about 20 miles, with the EB in the second mode ,whatever that is, it will stay on down to about a 1000 rpm but it depends on what gear the trans is in also, It works great for coming off an exit ramp but going down a steep crooked road I am not happy so far because when I really need it it is not working. Probably just me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can someone explain the difference in the Auto and Full modes of EB, I tow a 12K 5er and going down some steep mountains it quits working while doing 15 to 25 mph. I use the tow haul and the EB on. I have to ride the brakes all the way down the mountain.as the EB seems to quit working all together is this normal?? I have a 2015 RAM 3500 DRW
So full on will activate as soon as you let off the gas and the RPM's are over 1200 RPM (or in that range) with Auto it allows you to coast without it coming on until you touch your brakes or you start increasing speed.

When you are being pushed by that much weight it should work until you get below the RPM threshold of 11-1200 before it disengages, from what I understand the higher the RPM the better.

I am new to Ram but used it to come out of the mountains in Utah and Wyoming and it worked great, only having to apply the brakes when i was coming to switchback corners to tight turns. I was very impressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So is one push on the button full and two pushes auto or the other way around, the manual doesn't say which is which. I go up and down two very steep and curvy roads here in Ark leaving state parks and when I really need the EB it doesn't work for me. I have been only pushing the button once.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
1.) Can someone explain the difference in the Auto and Full modes of EB,

2.) going down some steep mountains it [the exhaust brake] quits working while doing 15 to 25 mph.

3.) I use the tow haul and the EB on. I have to ride the brakes all the way down the mountain.as the EB seems to quit working all together is this normal?
1.) FULL exhaust brake is the first push of the EB button and an AMBER indicator light on the dash. It is the simplest and most effective feature to use. A second push of the EB button will put the truck in AUTO mode and the dash light will light up green.
In AUTO mode the brake will only keep you from accelerating past your last speed. It will NOT continually engage and slow you to a near stop like FULL mode would.

2.) On a Gen-4 RAM/6.7L Cummins the exhaust brake in FULL mode will only engage if the torque converter is locked and engine RPM is above 1100.
Additionally, in FULL mode the exhaust brake will continually slow you down from highway speed all the way down to about 19 MPH, at which point it will 'drop-out' as you come to a complete stop.

3.) Use the exhaust brake on FULL mode, (the indicator lamp is amber, NOT green).

FWIW the owners manual is your friend. :wave:
-Ej-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks EJ, that class up how it works. I will have to check for the green indicator. I have never seen it but am sure it is there. thanks again

Danny

1 - 20 of 46 Posts