DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2015 eco diesel threw a code "check electronic throttle control" when it was extremely cold. I know it's the def system that froze....third winter in a row. Now after driving it a week the message "exhaust filter full". I never have gotten this message. Is it a big deal or all related to the def/throttle/creep mode issue? Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
my 2015 eco diesel threw a code "check electronic throttle control" when it was extremely cold. I know it's the def system that froze....third winter in a row. Now after driving it a week the message "exhaust filter full". I never have gotten this message. Is it a big deal or all related to the def/throttle/creep mode issue? Appreciate any feedback.
Admittedly I don't know this particular engine very well but do understand diesels. If the intake throttle plate got stuck in a closed position then you'll have excessive sooting under all operating ranges. Older diesels did not have throttle bodies as they intentionally ran lean but egr/DPF regen require them now. I think ignoring that message is where you might have gone wrong here. Is the CEL still on or did it clear by its self?

Sometimes soot will plug those intake plates up pretty good. so that might be why it got stuck. IMO, you should pop off the intake pipe and inspect it, make sure it opens and closes freely and you'll probably want to clean it off best you can.

As for the DPF being full (exhaust filter as you called it), there is obviously something keeping you from doing a regen on the truck. The dealer may have to force a regen at this point. You could try going for a long drive to see if it enters regen mode and burns out the DPF. It's possible that you kept interrupting the regen cycle by doing a lot of short trips.

Do you do a lot of short trips?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Admittedly I don't know this particular engine very well but do understand diesels. If the intake throttle plate got stuck in a closed position then you'll have excessive sooting under all operating ranges. Older diesels did not have throttle bodies as they intentionally ran lean but egr/DPF regen require them now. I think ignoring that message is where you might have gone wrong here. Is the CEL still on or did it clear by its self?

Sometimes soot will plug those intake plates up pretty good. so that might be why it got stuck. IMO, you should pop off the intake pipe and inspect it, make sure it opens and closes freely and you'll probably want to clean it off best you can.

As for the DPF being full (exhaust filter as you called it), there is obviously something keeping you from doing a regen on the truck. The dealer may have to force a regen at this point. You could try going for a long drive to see if it enters regen mode and burns out the DPF. It's possible that you kept interrupting the regen cycle by doing a lot of short trips.

I do some highway driving. The 100% full see dealer message came with no previous 80%, or "start regen" message

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I wouldn"t say a lot of short trips no. I feel this is a result of the service electronic throttle contol code it threw 7 days ago. I'm not in full creep mode, I can get to 60mph. Slow going up steep long hills

1 - 5 of 5 Posts