DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have been looking all over on here cuz i know somebody has had to have asked it, i just bought a 2011 dodge ram 1500 big horn 5.7 with mds yesterday. and hate how quiet it is. the dealership said i could just cut the stock muffler out and leave the cat and the resonators. and it would make it louder. i youtubed this, and there is a truck that sounds good. in my opinion. anyway my question is, will this hurt anything. i know it will be loudder, but i mean as far as other parts go. and what do the resonator do. the dealership said they are like mini mufflers. any help would be deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Resonators

On your typical cat-back exhaust system, you'll see a couple of bulges in the piping that are apparently mini-mufflers out to help the big muffler that hangs out back. These are called Helmholtz Resonators and are very similar to glasspacks. The main difference is that firstly, there is no sound-absorbing fiberglass or steel wool in a Resonator. And secondly, their main method of silencing is the reflective principle, not absorption. An easy way to tell the difference between a glasspack and a true Helmholtz Resonator is to "ping" one with your finger. A glasspack will make a dull thud, and a true Resonator will make a clear "ping!" sound.
Removing the muffler probably wont hurt anything,may effect torque some,for sure will be louder.:LOL:hope this helps...:smileup::smileup::smileup:..Rob

[/FONT]

·
Registered
220 Posts
The way I've always understood resonators is that rather than "muffling", they use the reflection within the chamber to change the "pitch" of the tone, making it sound quieter because it's in a different octave. I cut the resonator off on my 3rd gen and it's a deeper growl, but not a "louder" one, essentially. Just what I thought anyway...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'd not totally remove the mufflers. You need them in the system for backpressure to preserve low end torque. I'd replace the stock muffler(s) with an aftermarket one that sounds good to you.

I've read here that leaving the resonators on is suggested to avoid a drone in the system. I didn't have that problem with my 1999 truck but since I am shopping for a Gen 4 truck now I'm gonna try that method first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will i lose that much low end, even tho i'm leaving the cat and the resonators at the end of my exhaust by the tips? has anybody tried this? what is ur opinion on what it will do to my fuel mileage, (assuming i can keep my foot out of it, and drive like i do now) i'm going to match this with a cai in the next couple weeks. and as soon as superchips get there poop in a group, i'll have a programmer on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I added the Magnaflow muffler back system and there is no drone at all. When the truck goes into MDS it just goes silent. I am a little nervous to see how it acts once I add the AR headers on it here shortly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a 2011 Ram and either the previous owner or the dealership put a Flowmaster 40-Series on it, removed the resonators, and put new tips. It sounded great when they fired it up; however, once I drove it, when the MDS kicked in, the sound was horrible!!! After I bought it, I took it straight to the muffler shop to get a stock muffler put back on. Even now, it still has a weird sound without the resonators, so I will be trying to find some of those to put back on. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i have the maganflow free flowing y pipe, magnaflow muffler and resonators deleted. hardly hear any drone. I'd rather have the rumble and maybe a small amount of drone than the quiet stock system

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i'll let you guys know how things go, on friday i get my new exhaust and i have heard alot of things so first i'm going to try just getting rid of the muffler and straight pipin it. and if i dont like that then i'll try a magnaflow. to many bad posts about flowmaster. and if i dont like that then i'll start playin with resinators lol. i only wanna mess with one viarable at a time lol. but thanks to everybody for there thoughts and posts on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I bought my truck, the muffler was gone and a straight pipe was welded in from the cats back to the rear, it sounded great, but it caused (one of many) check engine lights to stay on (PO420 Catalyst System)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts