DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be impossible to know at this point, but I'll ask the question anyway. I'm dealing with some broken manifold bolts on my '11 ram 1500 that's causing an exhaust leak noticeable during cold starts. It's not a huge deal other than it seems like a safety hazard as exhaust can get into the vents on occasion.

This has been the only problem with the motor on my truck, but I'm not happy at all with this problem. Other than that, I've had some issues with door locks and some quality issues with weather sills in various spots.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to upgrade to the 2019 this year. However, it would be nice to know if they have upgraded the quality in the manifold bolts over the years. I don't want to upgrade if the hemi can't make it 100k miles without issues such as manifold bolts breaking. Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I doubt they are different. It’s absurd they haven’t fixed this problem. It’s been a issue since the original Hemi came out. I’ve had 5 Ram Hemi trucks and they all have had broken bolts. My plan on the 19’ is to change the end bolts at about 40,000 miles before they break. I’ve only had the end ones break. I’ve fixed all of mine myself.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Any engine with aluminum head and iron manifolds has this issue, it isn't just the Hemi. I do think it should have been designed with larger bolts (you are limited in how big you can go without perforating the water jacket in the heads as is), but I have also heard that once the heads have enough heat cycles through them to warp you can get them planed and the issue won't happen again

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
How much does it cost to change these bolts? I traded in my hemi before I had this issue.
Is this happening on ALL the hemis? I am planning on driving the next one int the ground.
Is there anything aftermarket available that takes care of this problem?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sure hope so! Sucks to have spent 50 k on a new truck and in two or three years it will sound like a 20 year old truck !

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be impossible to know at this point, but I'll ask the question anyway. I'm dealing with some broken manifold bolts on my '11 ram 1500 that's causing an exhaust leak noticeable during cold starts. It's not a huge deal other than it seems like a safety hazard as exhaust can get into the vents on occasion.

This has been the only problem with the motor on my truck, but I'm not happy at all with this problem. Other than that, I've had some issues with door locks and some quality issues with weather sills in various spots.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to upgrade to the 2019 this year. However, it would be nice to know if they have upgraded the quality in the manifold bolts over the years. I don't want to upgrade if the hemi can't make it 100k miles without issues such as manifold bolts breaking. Thanks!
Hi..I like the new 5th gen ram but why do you guys continue to by a truck with a known problem straight from the factory and has been for over ten years. Makes no sense to me considering how much trucks cost now. Can you imagine a salesman saying this is a great truck but oh by the way this part is going to break. They all do. Wait..what?😄

1 - 7 of 7 Posts