DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm in process of getting exhaust for my 3.6. Any suggestions? Or does anyone have theirs straight pipes or what brand offers loudest rumble. Well I know it won't loud due to V6 but the best sound. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
34,320 Posts
IMHO V6s don't sound that great, especially when they are made to be loud. I think the stock exhausts they put on the 220s are about the best V6 exhausts I've heard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, so the 220 you speak about is the stock exhaust it already comes with? I just can't stand no noise at all. I used to have a 5.9 Magnum straight piped and I loved it.

·
Super Moderator
34,320 Posts
I see, so the 220 you speak about is the stock exhaust it already comes with? I just can't stand no noise at all. I used to have a 5.9 Magnum straight piped and I loved it.
No the 220 is the 3.6L V6, 3.6L is 220 cubic inches. But the stock exhaust sounds best IMHO and is stainless steel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah got it. So even putting duals will make no sound at all would it? Might see a slight change in performance?

·
Super Moderator
34,320 Posts
It won't change performance

·
Registered
667 Posts
Need a V8 for sure....................

I was never impressed with ANY sound by an aftermarket exhaust or muffler on a V6. It just don't seem right.

Back in 1965 I bought a new Chevy Impala 396. It was the first one (396) on the street. It had the 325 HP with Power Glide. Now coming out of a 63 Chevy 283 2-barrel engine, I was quite impressed with the power of that 396.

NOW, what was really weird is it had a SINGLE exhaust. I did a research and that was indeed a very rare combination. It also had a Holly Carb. instead of the Rochester Quadrajet that was on the 325 HP engines, another rare combo. The Holly Carbs were usually on the higher performance 396's.

Now, if you wanted to hear a really weird sound, when I got on it, it sounded like it was going to puke out because it couldn't get rid of the exhaust fast enough. :smiledown:

I would have loved to put duals on it but with a $80 car payment, I couldn't afford it. Ha Ha

When I traded it off in 1967 I got the duals along with the Turbo Hydramatic 3-speed automatic instead of the PG with 2 speeds. What a difference that made. :smileup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah o wish I'd got the hemi, I was just so upside down with the trade in, the 6 is what I could afford.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agree with the above. V6 trucks sound terrible. I wouldn't mess with it. Lower it, lift it, Do whatever just leave the exhaust where it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah so far I have 2" leveling kit planning on getting k&n or mopar air intake. So a slightly better performance.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
6 bangers are tough in the exhaust department.
I had a 3.9 Liter Dakota. I did everything to that truck except an exhaust upgrade.
I did allot of research and could not find any V6 that sounded good with after market exhaust.
It definitely sucks that it has to be that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see, I've been looking through YouTube and ran across some exhaust V6 chargers, challengers and ram. Some even straight piped. It something I'll consider cause I honestly need some sort of noise :(

·
Registered
936 Posts
When I had the V6 Dakota I just threw on a Dynamax muffler, it gave a little more noise without trying to make it sound like a V8. It just added a little tone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered a flow-master super 10 direct replacement for the stock muffler on my new order 3.6 (stock 35lbs super10 5lbs) gonna leave on the resonator in tail pipe. I will make a vid when i install it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts