DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we always beat this to death about which one is the best, but I'm wondering which one is more efficient for power and mileage straight flow or baffles. I have a glasspack installed on my truck and I'm starting to get annoyed with the excessive noise (I don't really need to be heard 3 blocks away). I have been told that mufflers/glasspacks that create no back pressure cause a negative effect on horsepower and fuel mileage. Can someone out there clarify the pros and cons of both types of mufflers?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Its not that the mufflers cause you to lose fuel mileage but its that you dont have the torque being created thus having to use more gas to get up to speed which inturn reduces fuel mileage.

If you want torque and bottom end, you dont want straight pipes per say and would be better off with a nice Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler. If you want top end for racing, then youd definitely want free flowing exhaust and straight pipes would be good. Really, as long as you have a muffler you should be good provided its not a straight through (that is if you want the lower end torque and nice daily driver around town).

·
Registered
747 Posts
I replaced my stock muffler with an 18" straight through magnaflow muffler and removed the resonator in the tail pipe. I experienced no loss in the low end, but a very nice kick in the mid range. As far as fuel savings I am not sure. My baseline fuel economy was set using summer fuel, and Ive done a few other mods since the baseline.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Which 18" magnaflow are you referring to thats straight through? Id almost bet money your magnaflow 18" has baffles in it, which is not straight through.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info here guys thanks. I plan to cut out the glasspack and go to something still with performance but definately baffles. My truck is a daily driver so it makes sense now to go with something like a flowmaster or a magnaflow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Which 18" magnaflow are you referring to thats straight through? Id almost bet money your magnaflow 18" has baffles in it, which is not straight through.
My magnaflow is straight through, this is from their site describing their muffler as straight through....MagnaFlow Performance mufflers are 100% stainless steel and lap-joint welded for solid construction and rugged reliability even in the most extreme conditions. They feature a free-flowing, straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wrap and acoustical fiber fill to deliver that smooth, deep tone. Mufflers are packed tight with this acoustical material to ensure long life and no sound degradation over time......
...............................................:smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
if u want more out of your exhaust elimanate the y-pipe and put an x-pipe section with dual exhaust . x-pipe section produces way more power and better fuel economy due to exhaust scavenging . comepletely changes exhaust sound with the same mufflers. real raspy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.