1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
the cats have to be moved regardless with LT's...mine had to be moved rearward..of course they are empty anyways but just in case i get popped by popo, it looks like the cats are there..

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
that second link you posted won't be direct fit for lts...need to have exhaust guy custom fit for you...

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You should be able to buy or the headers should come with a matched mid/merge pipe. Ive never seen companies offer headers without something to get them out of the engine bay and just cut your stock i pipe to length and attatch it to your magnaflow. Thats what i did when i was running my Corsa

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Don't you need Some back pressure on naturally aspired gas engines?

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Don't you need Some back pressure on naturally aspired gas engines?
That is not true. It is a common misconception. Back pressure is always bad for exhaust flow and power potential. What often hurts power is having reduced exhaust gas velocity, by having too large of a pipe diameter. The smaller the diameter, the faster the gas flows through it. High exhaust gas velocity is desirable as it helps scavenging. The oem size pipes (2.5" off the manifolds, 3" at the merge, and if you have oem duals then 2.25" tailpipes) are about perfect for what you'd want on a stock to fairly modified engine. If you have extensive mods you could probably go 3" the whole way.

Basically back pressure is always bad, and there is a limit of too small and too big of exhaust pipe diameter. Many people confuse the two, thinking back pressure somehow helps power potential.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thanks for that, but I was thinking in terms of Torque???? Dont you loose torque, especially at he lower RPMs with too much flow?

I like what you're saying though, it seems to make sense..

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^No, you'll make more power and torque at all rpm's with a more free flowing (but properly sized) exhaust.

The gains at lower rpm's may be minimal, however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts