DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Cherry Bomb glass pack with a Y connector for the duel exhaust. I'm being told if I install this, it could void my emissions warrenty? Is this true?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes. Any exhaust that can alter back pressure will void the warranty. I used to be the supervisor of a large Ford dealership body shop. We farmed out a simple exhaust fix for a wrecked Chevy we repaired. The shop that did the fix put in a section of pipe a bit smaller then the rest of the system. Why? Because they're idiots. After the customer picked up the vehicle the car threw a code and he took it to the Chevy dealer. Instant void on the entire warranty forever. Unless the factory sanctions a particular aftermarket brand/system I would not do it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I thought anything "after" the cats was ok to do. No?

·
Registered
335 Posts
By the book, the dealer can deny emissions coverage if they see any "unapproved modification". When in doubt, ask the shop that does your emissions inspection - some grant some more leeway than others.

Most are fine with whatever as long as the CEL is off, the cats are present, and the pcm isn't flashed.

You should have an emissions warranty information card somewhere in your glovebox. You can always download it from mopar if you've lost it:
https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/twed...model=1500&language=en&market=us&itemtype=CEW

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean by "as long as the CEL is off, and the pcm isn't flashed". I'm Not removing the cats, just the stock muffler. I purchased the muffler and a "Y" pipe from Summit racing to connect to the, fake, duel exhaust. I have 2 on my 69' 340-4spd swinger, the sound is incredible, and I can feel the difference in performance, small, but it's there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm on your side dude lol

Mcpherson and oldhp gave you the 6 word answer:
Anything after the Cats is fine.
I'm simply explaining that although most shops are pretty accepting to exhaust modifications (as long as the cats and in tact, the PCM is on stock programming, and theres no check engine lights - those are standard checks during an emissions test), they have the power to fail you for anything that isn't stock, because those are technically "unapproved modifications".

I'm giving you the full story so you can apply it to future modifications you plan on doing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure the CB straight thru Glass Pack won't cause any problems. I generally take my vehicles to my local garage for inspections.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I purchased a Cherry Bomb glass pack with a Y connector for the duel exhaust. I'm being told if I install this, it could void my emissions warrenty? Is this true?
You will not void your Federal Emissions warranty if you replace exhaust components from the rearward catalytic converter/s back. If a warrantable Federal Emissions component failed while still under warranty the manufacturer has to prove that the addition of the aftermarket item caused the failure. Take a look at "The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act" for additional details about your rights when related to the installation of aftermarket parts.

- Jason @ Flowmaster

1 - 10 of 10 Posts