DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 dodge ram 4X4 with the 5.7 hemi. I put a magnaflow single to double muffler on it with stainless tips, but I want to make it a little bit louder. I had the two mufflers in the rear removed, but there is what i believe a third muffler right under the passenger floor, I want to know if it really is a muffler or a catalytic converter?

·
Registered
626 Posts
The cats will have o2 sensors if they don't they might be resonators.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm not sure why dodge needed to put so many resonators on their trucks, but by removing the ones I have already I've increased my gas mileage by 3 mpg.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wow that much?! Yea they kinda go over kill. They try to make them as quiet as possible lol

G

·
Same here..no resonators, Magnaflow single in/dual out muffler, AFE intake and a Predator all helped to improve my highway mileage by 4+ MPG.

I found two resonators on mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My truck was very quiet when I bought it, and that's why I put a different exhaust on it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Get an e cutout and make it loud when you want and quiet when you want.

·
Registered
164 Posts
+1 on the cutout. It's the best of both worlds.

And all the resonators were more to keep the MDS hidden than overall sound down. Notice that the 4.7s are actually louder than the Hemis with factory exhaust.

Granted, when I had my 07 quadcab Hemi, it had a Flowmaster 40 with turndowns about 3 days after I bought it and the MDS was VERY noticeable. I had to ride around with tow/haul on to keep from sounding like a Subaru.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Cut outs are nice like ORT said. What size mag did you put on it?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
And all the resonators were more to keep the MDS hidden than overall sound down. Notice that the 4.7s are actually louder than the Hemis with factory exhaust.
Yeah my truck is louder than my brother's hemi, and my other brother's hemi, and my friend's hemi...lol. All at idle of course, under WOT who knows...

I know my brother's bighorn has like an "extra large muffler", it's much bigger than the mufflers on the other hemi's that I've seen, it's seriously probably 3-4 feet long.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
yea my stock muffler on my lonestar was a foot wide and 3-4 feet long...then my resonator...there are alot of 4.7s around time and man some of them things sound good!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
yea my stock muffler on my lonestar was a foot wide and 3-4 feet long...then my resonator...there are alot of 4.7s around time and man some of them things sound good!
Almost everybody likes the ford 4.6L in mustangs(they sound awesome, especially with an x pipe). The fact that they are slow doesn't matter lol.... well the 4.7L is a very similar design, both overhead cam motors, same displacement practically, and I believe the same firing order but I may be wrong there...they sound very similar.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
hhmm thats useful info, i never knew that

·
Registered
164 Posts
Almost everybody likes the ford 4.6L in mustangs(they sound awesome, especially with an x pipe). The fact that they are slow doesn't matter lol.... well the 4.7L is a very similar design, both overhead cam motors, same displacement practically, and I believe the same firing order but I may be wrong there...they sound very similar.
I never really thought of that but that is true. And I have to admit, I have a soft spot for the 4.6 Fords. Especially the 3 valves in the 05-10 Stangs. Nothing wild but respond to mods well and lay down nice power for their size. If there ever was an engine with "heart", I'd say it was that one. The fact that my first one took me to work everyday and to 11 second 1/4 miles (modded of course) still impresses me to this day.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^ Yeah that's honestly the first thing I noticed when I test drove my truck was that under hard acceleration it sounded like the 4.6L. Even more so with the superchips (I was amazed at how much the exhaust note changed just due to the tune...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts