DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I checked under my steering column for the 2 connectors that would be the ones for the trailer brake. Supposed to be 2 grey 4 pin connectors, correct? It looks like I only have 1 - looks like a big grey cube. I'm not 100% sure what I am looking at but it sure looks like I just have 1. I really don't want to have to get an aftermarket one because I want it to fit perfectly and I like the clean look.

So then there is absolutely no way for me to get the integrated trailer brake controller?? Does it only come with one of the connectors because I don't have the EVIC? Why would Dodge do this :LOL:

·
Registered
487 Posts
So I checked under my steering column for the 2 connectors that would be the ones for the trailer brake. Supposed to be 2 grey 4 pin connectors, correct? It looks like I only have 1 - looks like a big grey cube. I'm not 100% sure what I am looking at but it sure looks like I just have 1. I really don't want to have to get an aftermarket one because I want it to fit perfectly and I like the clean look.

So then there is absolutely no way for me to get the integrated trailer brake controller?? Does it only come with one of the connectors because I don't have the EVIC? Why would Dodge do this :LOL:
Should be only 1 brake harness under the dash. Depending on the controller you may have to buy a connector to go from the harness to your brake controller. Your controller may have a connector or pig tails. Either case the connector is likely needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It should be really obvious if you have the 2 connectors. They will be taped together just behind where the factory trailer brake goes. If you have just one I'm not sure the OEM will work for you. You may have to get an aftermarket unit. I bought mine off Craigslist from a guy who bought it but only had 1 connector in his harness. Best $100 I have spent on this truck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Search some of the other threads. If you don't have EVIC, I seem to recall that it will work with the one plug and the other was to communicate with the EVIC. I also recall some people saying you could buy the second connector on Ebay and splice it in.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've searched around and can't find the post now, but a seemingly very knowledgeable poster here stated it won't work on a gen 4 truck without EVIC, and he went on to explain in great detail why it wouldn't. I initially argued that I thought the 4 pin plug in the factory controller was not any different than the 4-pin standard trailer plug wiring for any brake controller. And since all Gen 4 Dodge pickups had at least the 4-pin connector with the standard brake wiring, the factory controller might at least work in a standard manner without EVIC. He clearly pointed out that the 4-wires in the factory controller that you would use in the standard plug-in connector under the dash would not have a power wire or such to make the controller work. It takes both plugs to be fully connected for the factory controller to work regardless of EVIC...or some kind of extensive free lance wiring.

Now, I don't know this to be fact, and if I could find the post I'd link it up. I'd do some more research before jumping into the factory controller if you only have one plug and no EVIC. My Express doesn't have EVIC or the 2nd wiring harness. I went with a high end Tekonsha P3 and plugged it into the hole where the factory controller would go. With a little creativity, you can plug most aftermarket controllers into the factory hole without too much drama. Just don't use a controller that has controls on the side. With front controls you can still access the buttons and such.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is disappointing news. I have a 2012 Express and was interested in installing the factory controller.

Question: On my rear bumper there are connectors for both the 4 pin and the 7 pin. Why would they have the connections in the rear bumper without the plugs for controller?

My Express doesn't have the EVIC system either. However, I haven't gotten underneath the truck to see if both connects have wiring I just assumed they did.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Guess i got really lucky because i have both plugs in my express. Now all i need to do is order the brake controller.:woohoo:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess i got really lucky because i have both plugs in my express. Now all i need to do is order the brake controller.:woohoo:
White I have what more than likely is a stupid question: Did you express have both connectors on the bumper? I have to assume it does.

Hopefully having both connectors will increase my odds of have both harness's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You'll need the second connector, at a minimum, for the factory controller to work. It can be added without much difficulty. But I'm not sure how the controller will work on a 2012 without an EVIC, because there are settings on the 2012 controller that can only be changed in the EVIC. For the '09-'11 models, the controllers were basically standalone, as far as setting them up was concerned. The EVIC could display information from the controller on the '10-'11 models, but that was about it.

So it may work, but it may not. You're probably better off going aftermarket, if you have a 2012 without the EVIC.

·
Registered
79 Posts
One reason for the 7 round connector without a brake controller is that many boat trailers have a 5 way connector and need the fifth pin to lock out the surge brakes in reverse. Secondly, you can still add an aftermarket controller with the one connector.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts