DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2016 Ram 1500 ecodeisel 4x4 with 12,000 miles, and are wanting to get an extended warranty. We were looking at the Chrysler Mopar factory backed extended warranties online, BUT went to 2 dodge dealerships locally and they each recommended a bumper to bumper Mechanical Repair Contract over the Chrysler extended warranty. Reason given was their experience was when a customer brought to their service department a dodge with factory warranty often work would be denied as was not a design flaw or something that was factory responsibility. Whereas a Mechanical Repair contract just fixes the problem, replaces etc without that “ warranty” grey area. Has anyone heard of all this? Any experience out there with either of these coverages?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have read the forum posts on 3rd party service contracts and was convinced to get the factory backed one instead but wondered if dealers claim is true about Chrysler often denying claims . Any experience out there?

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
There doesn't have to be a "design flaw" failure to validate a warranty claim. So long as the recommended service intervals have been observed, and time and mileage limits are not exceeded, anything that breaks should get fixed under warranty except for any items specifically excluded.
Sure, some warranty claims are denied, and some of them that are denied probably should be and some likely not. I think you'll find that with any manufacturer, be it vehicles or anything else, since there is always a financial incentive to deny claims in any warranty process, just like there is in the insurance biz. The fundamental business model is to take as much money from the consumer as the market forces will allow, and give back no more of it than is legally required in warranty reimbursements. And they have in-house lawyers that are costing them money anyway, so fighting a claim doesn't increase their overhead much at all.

What I think can be said realistically is that the Mopar warranties have a better reputation for delivering the services promised than just about any aftermarket arrangement out there.
That said, there's no substitute for a dealership with a competent service department and an overall commitment to generating customer satisfaction. A dealer's service department with a default position of going to bat for the customer in the warranty approval process with FCA is irreplaceable.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,133 Posts
Welcome to Ramforumz! It's good to have you here. Since this thread is about warranty concerns, I am going to move it to a better area of the forum to get more replies. Again, welcome & enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The dealers you visited are wrong. Stay away from aftermarket service contracts and buy the Chrysler extended warranty. Don't buy it from those dealers, buy it online to get the best price. Here are the best online sellers:
1)
Purchased mine from:
Rodney Melton, Cell 517-306-0079
Chrysler Warranty Direct
888-352-6103
chryslerwarrantydirect.com
C. R. Motor Sales
518 S. Meridian Rd.
Hudson, MI 49247

2)
For comparisons, Here are quotes for Lifetime policy on 08/09/18.
No longer available but gives an idea of pricing:
1 - $2795 Clay Robbins ([email protected])
2 - $3045 Chrysler Warranty Direct (https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com)
3 - $3110 Zeigler Auto Group (http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/)
4 - $3331 Chrysler Warranty (https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com)
5 - $4195 MOPAR Service Plans (1-866-224-4953)

3)
Another popular vendor with good rates:
Tom Winkels, Finance Manager, HAYES JEEP
3718 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
269-488-2080

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There doesn't have to be a "design flaw" failure to validate a warranty claim. So long as the recommended service intervals have been observed, and time and mileage limits are not exceeded, anything that breaks should get fixed under warranty except for any items specifically excluded.
Sure, some warranty claims are denied, and some of them that are denied probably should be and some likely not. I think you'll find that with any manufacturer, be it vehicles or anything else, since there is always a financial incentive to deny claims in any warranty process, just like there is in the insurance biz. The fundamental business model is to take as much money from the consumer as the market forces will allow, and give back no more of it than is legally required in warranty reimbursements. And they have in-house lawyers that are costing them money anyway, so fighting a claim doesn't increase their overhead much at all.

What I think can be said realistically is that the Mopar warranties have a better reputation for delivering the services promised than just about any aftermarket arrangement out there.
That said, there's no substitute for a dealership with a competent service department and an overall commitment to generating customer satisfaction. A dealer's service department with a default position of going to bat for the customer in the warranty approval process with FCA is irreplaceable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your judgement . It’s a bit of a snake pit out there it seems , So we really appreciate the referrals. We’ve been a little wary of buying online but will definitely relook at the factory warranty. That was our original plan. I looked up complaints about the dealerships’ Service Contract with the Better Business bureau. Total Auto Care , owned by the dealership itself! No wonder their financier was pushing it. There were several irate customers, complaints. We put a lot of miles on vehicles , wish the factory still offered lifetime options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealers you visited are wrong. Stay away from aftermarket service contracts and buy the Chrysler extended warranty. Don't buy it from those dealers, buy it online to get the best price. Here are the best online sellers:
1)
Purchased mine from:
Rodney Melton, Cell 517-306-0079
Chrysler Warranty Direct
888-352-6103
chryslerwarrantydirect.com
C. R. Motor Sales
518 S. Meridian Rd.
Hudson, MI 49247

2)
For comparisons, Here are quotes for Lifetime policy on 08/09/18.
No longer available but gives an idea of pricing:
1 - $2795 Clay Robbins ([email protected])
2 - $3045 Chrysler Warranty Direct (https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com)
3 - $3110 Zeigler Auto Group (http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/)
4 - $3331 Chrysler Warranty (https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com)
5 - $4195 MOPAR Service Plans (1-866-224-4953)

3)
Another popular vendor with good rates:
Tom Winkels, Finance Manager, HAYES JEEP
3718 Stadium Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
269-488-2080

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The consensus seems to be that the Chrysler factory warranties are the best bet. Appreciate your weighing in. True , in house lawyers make it tough , but I’ll look up Chrysler’s record of customer satisfaction. I imagine where you take it to be serviced and their integrity can make a difference as well. It feels like it’s still the Wild West out there and you have to come in armed when it comes to the auto world and dealerships.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have another question. The specific parts the dealership mentioned that the factory warranty doesn’t cover is the parts that dry out , crack like all rubber and plastics . We live in southern Arizona so that’s a big deal. I suppose I could ask the warranty seller hoping for an honest reply, but wary . Any experience ?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I have another question. The specific parts the dealership mentioned that the factory warranty doesn’t cover is the parts that dry out , crack like all rubber and plastics . We live in southern Arizona so that’s a big deal. I suppose I could ask the warranty seller hoping for an honest reply, but wary . Any experience ?
Those are considered wear items and are covered by your 3/36 factory warranty only.
I don't know of any aftermarket that would cover them either.
They are considered in the same class as tires/brakes/light bulbs.

You can read online what the Maxcare coverage covers as well as the other plans.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Let me be blunt:
Your dealer is trying to rip your lips off, by preying on your Fears, Inexperience and lack of Knoweledge in these Matters.

Buy Factory Warranties. Buy them Online.
The Dealership will only be allowed to work on your car if factory warranty covers the repairs. Tell them this, up front , when you take it in for repairs. If they balk, drive to another dealership. Dealerships are like Hookers, you ca nalways find one who will gladly take the factories money.

Find a reputable, preferably Independent SHop Owner,/Operator, who is Honest and Good.
They do exist. That person is the one you pay to fix your non warranty repairs.

If you cannot find one, join a church, ROtary or some other gruop. Someone will know one guy who is good, cheap and honest.

Reactions: Rickmaz2

·
Registered
1 Posts
I worked foe a Chrysler dealership for 29 years. I personally buy Chrysler warranty. If your buy a good one then everything is covered. If you buy a aftermarket contract, they usually want to send a adjuster out. That ties up your truck for a couple of days before the tech can work on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow - I am not up with the times. Since when can you buy a factory warranty on the open market online? I thought you could only get that through their licensed dealerships?

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
Wow - I am not up with the times. Since when can you buy a factory warranty on the open market online? I thought you could only get that through their licensed dealerships?
Generally speaking you can buy a Mopar extended warranty from any dealership anywhere in the country and shop around for the best price, and most of the online vendors are indeed RAM dealerships. Some of those dealerships sell many times more warranties than they do trucks by pricing them very competitively and relying on sheer volume of sales to generate the profits.
Some people are lucky to have a local dealership that will agree to match any price you find online, but usually only if you ask them directly and often not with a ton of enthusiasm. But many just won't.

Also, some states (just a few, and I don't recall which ones they are) have regulations which don't permit interstate warranty shopping of that kind. At least that was true when I was checking into the issue for an extended Subaru factory warranty. I don't know if that's still the case. In those states you could only purchase from in-state dealerships if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The consensus seems to be that the Chrysler factory warranties are the best bet. Appreciate your weighing in. True , in house lawyers make it tough , but I’ll look up Chrysler’s record of customer satisfaction. I imagine where you take it to be serviced and their integrity can make a difference as well. It feels like it’s still the Wild West out there and you have to come in armed when it comes to the auto world and dealerships.
Chrysler factory warranties are the best bet! However with that said I have a 2018 Bighorn with only 10,000 miles. The engine is making a "Metallic" tapping noise coming from the engine & a vehicle vibration. After 6 repair attempts (3 for eng & 3 for vibration) the 2 problems still exist. Have now gotten an attorney and filed a Federal lemon law case against Chrysler. Save your money and do not get ANY extended warranty!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chrysler factory warranties are the best bet! However with that said I have a 2018 Bighorn with only 10,000 miles. The engine is making a "Metallic" tapping noise coming from the engine & a vehicle vibration. After 6 repair attempts (3 for eng & 3 for vibration) the 2 problems still exist. Have now gotten an attorney and filed a Federal lemon law case against Chrysler. Save your money and do not get ANY extended warranty!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting the warranty, even if it comes down to lemon law.

I would think the cost of the warranty that would now be voided would become part of the "settlement" so you would get most (if not all) of the money back that you paid for it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts