DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully it is the same on all 19's but I just realized my 19 Big Horn came with the studs already mounted for mounting side steps. Glad to see as it is going to make it a hell of a lot easier this time. Just have to find/buy a torque wrench now!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can you take a picture of these studs? I'm debating going without steps until someone makes black wheel to wheel steps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. Having a hell of a time trying to thread the nuts on. Something does not seem right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
side step nuts

I took OFF my side steps and three of the nuts were REALLY difficult to get off. Insanely difficult for brand new and no rust. So not surprised you are struggling getting some on at all. Impact wrench for the win.

If anyone needs a set of the polished aluminum steps in brand new condition I would love to sell them and get them out of my garage.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only issue with an impact wrench is that they only require 12 ft lbs for installation.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Do not force the nuts on the studs! When I installed my side steps using the OEM studs (3 studs per mounting bracket) I had to use a thread die on every stud. The problem is the studs have a thick coat of paint on the threads and the thread die removes the paint in the threads. It was a PIA and took a lot of time working the die back and forth. I did not want to snap off or strip any of the OEM studs just by forcing the nuts on with a wrench. The nuts went right on after I removed the paint from the threads. Do not over torque the nuts.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hopefully you didn't try to put SAE nuts on metric stud.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Do not force the nuts on the studs! When I installed my side steps using the OEM studs (3 studs per mounting bracket) I had to use a thread die on every stud. The problem is the studs have a thick coat of paint on the threads and the thread die removes the paint in the threads. It was a PIA and took a lot of time working the die back and forth. I did not want to snap off or strip any of the OEM studs just by forcing the nuts on with a wrench. The nuts went right on after I removed the paint from the threads. Do not over torque the nuts.
Hopefully you didn't try to put SAE nuts on metric stud.
The post was to help with the installation of the nuts on to the studs and my experience that could be helpful to someone that is having a problem. Not if I know that the studs are metric which they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts