DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got the bighorn package and the remote start on the truck will crank but after 6-7 seconds the truck dies, does anyone know what causes this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
faulty remote start

I have a 2006 dodge megacab 1500 series. When I bought the machine it had a chrysler/dodge/ram remote starter with it. I bought the truck in the summer of 2006 and at 2008 when our weather changed and winter moved in I was not able to get the truck to start using the remote start, it would turn over but would not take and then it would not try again. I would have to press the remote start for several seconds as if turning the truck off using and then use the remote again. Most of the time it will start the second time.

It seemed the trouble initially was in the deep of winter in very cold weather but after a while it didn't need to be so cold for this to act up. They replaced the wiring for the remote start and it seemed to be fixed for about 2 years again when it started acting the same way.

Anyone with any idea as to what may be the trouble because the garage does not know.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
the truck will shut off after a few seconds IF there is a problem, usually the engine light will come on & stay on, then the remote will not start it all, it will still crank.
when you use the FOB in the switch it will usually start right up
I took the truck into the dealer & they fixed it right away
every once in a while i take a couple dozen donuts to the dealership for their coffee break,when its time for a oil change i find that they remember me & try to get my problems taken care of a bit better, if not quicker

·
Registered
18 Posts
No engine light comes on after the truck fails to start. I video taped the situation and brought the laptop to the dealership so they could see it for themselves and like I said they replaced the wiring in it and it lasted for about 2 years then started to behave the same way again. I never seen this with remote start before.

But like I said earlier if it fails I use the remote to turn the truck off and then usually with the second attempt at starting it will. There has been only a couple of times that I had to do this 3 times to get it started.

It is strange how it only happens as the cold weather moves in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i live in southeast louisiana and its still pretty warm down here. i was hoping this would save me a trip to the dealership. they want close to $80 just to scan it. i took it to autozone and there scan was "inconclusive" so a buddy told me to check the forums and see if anyone else been having a problem with theirs. thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
If you know that this morning the truck will not start with the remote start and stay running , go out and key start it and see if it stays running . Just hit the key , don't hit the gas pedal , and see what happens . Let us know .

G

·
Good suggestion, Tom. That will eliminate the remote start system as the culprit. The problem may be somewhere else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my case if the truck don't start with the remote start on first attempt it will start with the key or will start with key on first attempt even in cold weather . Seems like only remote start is affected by cold weather on first attempt second attempt with remote it starts. Happened this morning ,it was cool this am but not freezing like in the dead of winter. I say give it another year or so and it won't start at all on first attempt in any weather.

But you would think the truck would give a second try if not successful on first without me having to use the remote start. We had a chev blazer with an after market starter on it and it would try several times on its own in cold weather not give up after first try.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just throwing this out there. I read some where that the remote start will kill the engine if the fuel level is low. How much gas is in the tank?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a seperate question, although I too have intermittent remote start problems with it not staying running when activated, starts then dies, I was wondering if there was a way I can program how long it stays running after I start it with the remote. It seems to only run for about 2 minutes when it does work right, not enough down here in Texas to cool the truck down

·
Registered
4 Posts
have 2010 big horn,they changed module twice going back today now instead of stalling on start now u turn key on then it stalls

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Check the safety switch for the hood. If it's loose.....or has a wiring issue..... :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got similar problem, check engine light on, remote start won't start truck and little Eco light doesn't come on even when I take my foot off the throttle, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
If the engine light comes on, the remote starter will not function. Mine would start and then the engine light would turn on, the truck would shut off. If I tried it again it would not start. My engine light came on when the truck was being delivered to me. So right from new. They replaced the fuel pressure rail sensor which did not fix the problem. The next item they replaced was a Fuel Control Pressure Module which I believe is mounted on the tank. This fixed the problem. So now the ECO and the remote start work fine. ECO will not work if you have a engine light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the truck will shut off after a few seconds IF there is a problem, usually the engine light will come on & stay on, then the remote will not start it all, it will still crank.
when you use the FOB in the switch it will usually start right up
I took the truck into the dealer & they fixed it right away
every once in a while i take a couple dozen donuts to the dealership for their coffee break,when its time for a oil change i find that they remember me & try to get my problems taken care of a bit better, if not quicker
I have a 2014 Laramie and this seems to be a re-occuring problem as soon as the weather starts getting cold here - just when you really need the dang thing working. It will start and only run a few seconds and then shut off. When I go to start it manually the engine light comes on and the message on the dash says remote start disabled & start to reset.
Today is was +10 C and the engine light went out when I drove 30 miles. After that I tried remote starting it and it started just fine. WTH? Why, every year, does a drop in temperature create this problem. I'm very sick of this.....

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Not related to the Ram but my wifes Dodge Avengers remote start is factory set to run 15 minutes then shut off ( it is a safety feature ) might see if the "timer" is set correctly or faulty ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not related to the Ram but my wifes Dodge Avengers remote start is factory set to run 15 minutes then shut off ( it is a safety feature ) might see if the "timer" is set correctly or faulty ?
Hi Thanks. It ended up being a coolant bypass valve.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts