DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2020 3500 with the trailer TPMS option on it. It comes with 4 standard-looking TPMS's to be installed in the trailer wheels. I took these to a local Discount Tire, but when they tried to install them, they found that the threads on the valve stem portion of the TPMS were not threaded long enough to be able to fit to my RV's aluminum wheels. There just wasn't enough thread poking through the hole in order to get the collar onto them.

So now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Discount Tire's suggestion was to have a machine shop mill off some of the wheel around the valve stem opening to thin out the thickness of the rim, but obviously I certainly don't want to do that. Another possibility, which the shop didn't have the right parts for, was to replace the stem portion of the TPMS with a different one that was threaded long enough, and marry that up with the RAM-supplied TPMS internals. I don't know if that's a reasonable possibility or not, perhaps someone more familiar with how TPMS's are built could tell if that's reasonable or not.

Another thought I had was to simply find some third-party TPMS's that would fit, that would also communicate with the truck. I might not object to buying some different sensors assuming they work seamlessly with the truck's system. FWIW, the pairing process for the sensors is basically done by initializing the system on the truck, then one-by-one letting about 5lbs of air out of a tire, in a specific sequence, and listening for the horn to sound to indicate pairing. Again, someone with more knowledge of TPMS's and perhaps the RAM system would know if there is any aftermarket sensors that would make this a possibility.

Some might simply suggest getting one of the common RV TPMS systems and using that, but I don't want another separate display to attach on the dash of the truck, especially when I've paid for a nice integrated system.

TIA for any good ideas!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem isn't that the valve stem itself is too short, the problem is that the threads that are used by the collar to fasten the whole thing to the wheel don't extend far enough up the valve stem for the collar to be able to grab ahold of, at least given the thickness of the rims at the valve stem hole. If the RV had steel wheels, or at least thinner aluminum, there wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Probably worth a talk with the dealer or zone rep to see if there are others are available. You can't be the only one affected.
I believe the dealer can start a star case that will go to engineering for an answer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Couldn't you simply have longer metal stems installed in your aluminum wheels? That way the threaded part of the stem would be above the wheel surface and then allow the TPMS cap to screw on properlyl.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Why not just change out the valve stems. They come in all different lengths. Even if it has a shoulder it fits into, they make vale stems like 3 or 4" long.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not just change out the valve stems. They come in all different lengths. Even if it has a shoulder it fits into, they make vale stems like 3 or 4" long.
That's sort of what I'm thinking - the Discount Tire guy showed me how the stem could be changed, they just didn't have anything that fit these particular TPMS's that was long enough. And again, it's not that the Ram stems were too short to reach through, they just weren't threaded far enough up for the collar to grab ahold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a new 2020 3500 with the trailer TPMS option on it. It comes with 4 standard-looking TPMS's to be installed in the trailer wheels. I took these to a local Discount Tire, but when they tried to install them, they found that the threads on the valve stem portion of the TPMS were not threaded long enough to be able to fit to my RV's aluminum wheels. There just wasn't enough thread poking through the hole in order to get the collar onto them.

So now I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Discount Tire's suggestion was to have a machine shop mill off some of the wheel around the valve stem opening to thin out the thickness of the rim, but obviously I certainly don't want to do that. Another possibility, which the shop didn't have the right parts for, was to replace the stem portion of the TPMS with a different one that was threaded long enough, and marry that up with the RAM-supplied TPMS internals. I don't know if that's a reasonable possibility or not, perhaps someone more familiar with how TPMS's are built could tell if that's reasonable or not.

Another thought I had was to simply find some third-party TPMS's that would fit, that would also communicate with the truck. I might not object to buying some different sensors assuming they work seamlessly with the truck's system. FWIW, the pairing process for the sensors is basically done by initializing the system on the truck, then one-by-one letting about 5lbs of air out of a tire, in a specific sequence, and listening for the horn to sound to indicate pairing. Again, someone with more knowledge of TPMS's and perhaps the RAM system would know if there is any aftermarket sensors that would make this a possibility.

Some might simply suggest getting one of the common RV TPMS systems and using that, but I don't want another separate display to attach on the dash of the truck, especially when I've paid for a nice integrated system.

TIA for any good ideas!

·
Registered
2 Posts
TPMS Sensors stem threads too short:
Same problem for me, new 2021 3500 with the Ram TPMS, there is not enough thread on the stem. The stem is part of the Schrader TP sensor and cannot be changed with typical stems. It's a built-in stem and needs another 1/2" of thread. I have sent a question to Schrader and pursuing with Ram, the furnished sensors are for a steel wheel with about a 1/8" thickness. My aluminum RV wheels (by Sumec) are 3/8" thick. Any help will be appreciated and I will share solutions I find as well. My new Ram 3500 is an excellent vehicle and so well thought out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TPMS Sensors stem threads too short:
Same problem for me, new 2021 3500 with the Ram TPMS, there is not enough thread on the stem. The stem is part of the Schrader TP sensor and cannot be changed with typical stems. It's a built-in stem and needs another 1/2" of thread. I have sent a question to Schrader and pursuing with Ram, the furnished sensors are for a steel wheel with about a 1/8" thickness. My aluminum RV wheels (by Sumec) are 3/8" thick. Any help will be appreciated and I will share solutions I find as well. My new Ram 3500 is an excellent vehicle and so well thought out.
We also have the same issue on our 2020 Ram 4500. Please update if you found a solution. We have 19.5" Boar Aluminum Wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts

TIA for any good ideas!
The nuts to the TPMS sensor have about a 1/8" gap that isn't threaded at the bottom. I had a machine shop mill it down to where the threads start and was finally able to install the sensors on my 5th wheel trailers aluminum rims.

·
Registered
1 Posts

TIA for any good ideas!
Same issue here

·
Registered
2 Posts

TIA for any good ideas!

I had the same problem. I took the trailer tire TPMS sensors to a machine shop and had them mill off the 1/8" of dead space so that the threads are at the bottom of the nut. I easily was able to install the valves on my 5th wheel aluminum rims after that. Hope this helps everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts