DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 has ram boxes. The plastic that covers the top of them is starting to fade and bleach out.
Has anyone else have this happen to theirs? Is there a way to make them black again?

thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
I also have RamBoxes but have not had that problem. If you can restore it, let us know what you used. I want to keep the Ram as fresh appearing as I can, these posts really help me in that process. Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Good luck finding something that lasts beyond a month, I tried a lot of them without success. Mine were all gray so I prepped them good and used Dupi Color Trim and bumper paint. After a year they are still black.

·
Premium Member
Ram 1500 sport
215 Posts
Try this, I used on my 2009 jeep to perfection; Solution Finish

FULL INSTALLATION KIT: 12 oz SOLUTION FINISH Black Plastic Trim Restorer SUPER SIZE 12 oz + 2 Microfiber Towels + Applicator Sponge + Gloves. I bought it on Amazon.

It is expensive but it works.

·
Read Only
377 Posts
Good luck finding something that lasts beyond a month, I tried a lot of them without success. Mine were all gray so I prepped them good and used Dupi Color Trim and bumper paint. After a year they are still black.

Have any pics you can share? I also went through 2 or 3 products and they either run in the rain or fade after a month. I'd like to paint them but am concerned it would look like I painted them....

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I'll be curious to hear about how you make out with the restore. As someone else who has Ramboxes, it's disappointing to read these threads about Ramboxes fading, and there has been a few of them. Fortunately mine spends most of its time in the garage, but that certainly isn't a solution.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Be careful what you apply to your plastics. Anything silicone based may temporarily bring back a deep black shine, but long term it’s compounding the problem, as it dries out the plastic.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Be careful what you apply to your plastics. Anything silicone based may temporarily bring back a deep black shine, but long term it’s compounding the problem, as it dries out the plastic.
I never heard that, water based products dry out. In the end all black will fade if not taken care of. I liked the Turtle wax because it absorbed into the plastic and left a natural new appearance. On my truck I'm not that worried since it is in a garage now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We see this fade a lot on golf cart bumpers. Fender pads, etc. You can bring the “black” back by using a heat gun, slowly running it over the plastic. Don’t linger too long in one spot. Give it a try, you will be amazed at how well it does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts