DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have to resize the pictures before I post them on here but this was a NGHTMARE! I finally order a set of Bilstein 5100's so I could get a 2" lift up front and benefit from a little better ride quality. This was my little teaser for myself until I save up for a 6" lift. We rent a spring compressor and pull out the air tools for a quick install. WHAMMY!! We were so wrong. BOTH lower shock bolts are frozen in the bushings on the lower control arm. Nothing worked to remove them. We resorted to torching off one of the shocks and hammering out the bolt with the bushing so we could experiment with getting it loose. No luck! We start calling around and searching online for a new bushing and it DOESNT EXIST! There isn't even a part number listed with dodge because they will only sell you the ENTIRE lower control arm. So, what started out to be a simple shock install turned into a very expensive project. Had to order a new lower control arm and a stock shock for the side we messed with. We will just put it back together now and I'll have two brand new Bilseins up for sale because I'm NOT going to buy another control arm for the drivers side due to a stuck bolt just for a 2" lift.

Sucks to know that in the future when I do a 6" lift there will be the looming purchase of an otherwise unnecessary lower control arm for the drivers side just because Dodge doesn't have a separate bushing and ther isn't an aftermarket alternative for it. Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Well. That sucks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I clicked on this message, I thought you were going to complain about Bilsteins... LOL
I know these shocks to be great. Unfortunately I won't get to enjoy them on this truck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you try heavily spraying the bolts with penetrating lube or something similar and let it sit overnight?
We did PB Blaster. These suckers are mega frozen. Never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much do you want for shocks!?
Paid $82.23 a piece with $8.00 shipping totalling $172.46. I'd have to ask what I paid to feel a little better about the $205 control arm I had to buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
on one of the antique tractor forums I visit often had this post up along time ago, the older guys swear by the atf/ acetone mixture, that's their advice for anyone asking for help removing stuck parts and bolts, its worth a try, heres the info that was on the post.

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" boltAverage torque load to loosen nut:
No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds
The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix. ATF

hope this helps with your issue, that way you can get the look your after. let us know if you try it and if it helps. good luck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
on one of the antique tractor forums I visit often had this post up along time ago, the older guys swear by the atf/ acetone mixture, that's their advice for anyone asking for help removing stuck parts and bolts, its worth a try, heres the info that was on the post.

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" boltAverage torque load to loosen nut:
No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds
The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix. ATF

hope this helps with your issue, that way you can get the look your after. let us know if you try it and if it helps. good luck
EXCELLENT! Thanks a ton! I'll pass this along to Mike's Off Road here in TX so they can have it on Tuesday when they're cursing my suspension. haha!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had to use an air chisel on the head of the bolt and work a few turns in then a few turns out, after back and forth a few times it worked its way out, was a huge pain in the ass though

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to use an air chisel on the head of the bolt and work a few turns in then a few turns out, after back and forth a few times it worked its way out, was a huge pain in the ass though
Your sig pic is a 4th gen. Did you have this problem even on your new Ram?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the Bilstein 5100 on my truck last weekend had the same problems so dumped penetrating oil on them for 24 hours then used to 4ft snipe on a pry bar to loosen the bolts off as much as possible then I had to pound the old bushing out and press the new bushing in. I got the new bushing from UAP Napa. Yes it was a pain in the ass but the Bilstein 5100 kick ass and it was totally worth it! I guess I was just prepared lots of penetrating oil and two new bushings on hand because I had a feeling they would be stuck.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
OFF TOPIC ....

I see you from Arlington Texas, i am going to be passing through there tomorrow
I am in Sweetwater tonight & hope to be in Texarkana Ark. tomorrow night
I hope that they are not doing construction on I-20, it should only take about 6 hours
I gave up on using the I-30 through Ft Worth & Dallas

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
OFF TOPIC ....

I see your from Arlington Texas, i am going to be passing through there tomorrow
I am in Sweetwater tonight & hope to be in Texarkana Ark. tomorrow night
I hope that they are not doing construction on I-20, it should only take about 6 hours
I gave up on using the I-30 through Ft Worth & Dallas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.