DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't necessarily a "drag racing" question/ but you know, this is the place with the fast cars! So i figure id ask here. i basically have a stock engine.

I'm pretty tired of these little rice burners flooring it at red lights and then cutting me off.

Im not talking about like a high top speed or any illegal street racing stuff. I'm not into that at all. I hardly ever even go past the speed limit.

But what are some CHEAP mod or general things to get me going fast, faster? haha

Thanks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
intake, exhaust, tuner, throttle bodie,.... thats a pretty good start, cant let them ricers pass you! :LOL:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so basically just all those general upgrade stuff? What is a converter? hah converter for what? lol. And for gears, how much would that cost? how easy to install?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Gears are expensive and unless you have a friend to help or are very good at the mechanical stuff yourself you'll want someone to do that for you.

A torque converter is essentially a clutch in an automatic transmission. The higher the stall the more torque you will get at launch (I think I'm saying this correctly). Either way a new converter isnt necessarily cheap either. But a converter is cheaper than gears.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Fast isnt cheap my friend

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You have a 318, which is a great motor, but it was not built to be a hot rod. If you really like your truck, you might be able to repower with a 440. Cheaper in the long run to buy a newer hemi Ram,however. I've got a friend with a 1956 Ram with a junkyard 413 that really hauls ass. He claims it gets over 20 mpg as well. His truck runs low 7's in the eighth mile, btw. I'm sure he didn't spend a lot. Of course a 1956 Ram is pretty light. I doubt too many ricers get past his old Ram.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha so basically, do all of the cheaper stuff , or go super expensive. Haha

·
Registered
469 Posts
GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! :LOL:

nothings cheap

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahaha that works great if you're not a college student that doesnt even have a job yet!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Trade her in.. I have yet to have a rice burner get the best of 2012.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have an 03 quad cab 4x4 hemi. They can get by but better not slow down. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
cheapest option? Make sure you're on the left and make a sudden right turn into the other lane. You might feel a slight bump, but pay it no mind. The rice burner will soon be in your rearview.

OTOH, it's tough to get more torque outta the 318 without spending some money. That's a lot of weight for it to haul around.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Trade her in.. I have yet to have a rice burner get the best of 2012.
so not last night but the night before at work. took the truck out at lunch to go for a cruise during my 22min lunch break and while at a red light. i was sitting next to a blue sunfire. as im sitting there in my head i said watch this guy is gonna try and race me

SURE enough light turns green and i can hear this guy laying rubber.
SO i give it a little gas, got rolling then stomped on the gas and just pulled away like you wouldnt believe. i rolled down and waved goodbye as i pulled away

oh forgot to mention his sunfire was turbocharged as well. hahahah GET SMOKED!!!!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i would trade it in.. but, thats only 4 grand in my pocket.. which is not enough to buy anything substantially newer. Like i said, being is college isn't where the money is flowing! haha

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i OBVIOUSLY have a mind that isnt too mechanically inclined. I understand audio and electrical stuff more.

How much would a new motor cost? (or used) including professionally installed. Or would it be something i could do myself? I can do most things if i have some instructions; im not stupid by any means, I just wouldnt be able to figure something out by myself. haha

·
Registered
508 Posts
Realistically, prices for swapping out a motor are going to be far in excess of what the truck is likely worth.

However, IF you want to get into the highly addictive, expensive and potentially relationship killing world of modding. There are significant things you can do. a well used 360 won't be that hard to find. Or use your 318 as a base. A little work and a stroker kit for that to take to 383/390ci can safely net you in the 400hp/400tq range and still function as a daily driver. not to mention with that long stroke the torque will come on strong down low.
Realistic cost? probably $3k if you can do some work yourself. You would need to then build up the trans - assuming the one you have is solid, figure another grand and some more wrench time. Swap out the gear sets to something in the high 3's and your truck would be a launching monster!

modding is fun, and addictive, but can also be frustrating as all get out if you're early to the scene, or you want to go really wild.
About 15 years ago (gve or take) I started modding out my supercharged Regal GS. I spent lots of money. had a lot of fun. left a LOT of surprised looks on a number of peoples faces. and spent the better part of 3 years and god only knows how much money finding out what worked, and what didn't. I went from mild to wild to dammit I'm fixing this thing more than I drive it to demodding it to remodding it to outright selling it.

After that adventure, I highly suggest looking at your real purpose. is the truck your daily driver? is mod truck the vehicle you want to have the most? Do you have the time to put into wrenching? do you have the cash? If the answer is yes, then I say mod it out - but be conservative. stick with mods that have been time tested and proven. stick with the mild end of the spectrum. With that, you will have fun, and still enjoy your truck

You said you're in school. so money is probably low to non-existent. Sadly, the only suggestion (not advice) I will give there is either move to a quicker vehicle, or just plain wait it out.

OTOH - if you live in an area where it's feasible.... get a bike. they can be had for a relatively low level of cash if you shop hard. and even a modest one will more than satisfy your need for acceleration.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts