memories of many places and the two that are always on
the top are;

Boat friendly lakes around the BWCA in Northern MN

Dry Camping in the AZ Desert.

And Yours...

·
Registered
180 Posts
We like southern Utah/Nevada and northern Arizona. We spend at least a week in the Kanab, UT area each season. Closer to home here in the PNW we like most any place on the Washington/Oregon coast.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
We have been through 22 states IIRC, and we don't have a favorite. It is worth mentioning that the northeast was more expensive than most other camping options we have encountered; this excludes places near tourist attractions.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
we have so many lakes and so many state park camp grounds around here within 50 miles radius in the Upstate SC - I love it.
The lakes are all man made- our favorites are Lake Hartwell and Lake Keowee.
The camp grounds we like most:
Twin Lakes and Oconee Point on Lake Hartwell
South Cove on Lake Keowee.
Over 70% of the sites are lake side, the entrance faces the lake, in the summer the sites are shaded, there is plenty of privacy and possibility to let the dogs run every once in a while without a leash (as long as they listen and don't attack others).
The rates are very good- $25 - $45 per night (my wife gets the senior citizen discount, which makes it very affordable).
Boats can be parked right at the site and due to the topography it's easy to get in and out.
It's also a great fishing lake - There is the yearly bass tournament in spring.
also Lake Keowee is nice, not overcrowded and clean water. Also fishing no problem.

We are lucky to have so many choices around here and don't have to drive far. That makes it easier to have every other weekend a camping-time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Delaware Water Gap in Pa (our close - go to spot several times a year), Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, Seneca Lake in NY, Shenandoah Valley in Va, the Smokies in NC, and Was DC

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
No I was joking.We usually are traveling on our Goldwing and after riding for 8 hours you're looking for a shower and a nice bed.:smileup:
This is why we got a camper, our shower and bed is wherever we want it to be ;)
I do envy the motorcycle experience though, my wife won't budge on me having a motorcycle after countless efforts on my part to change that over the last 14 years. Oh well, the things we do for family.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
This is why we got a camper, our shower and bed is wherever we want it to be ;)
I do envy the motorcycle experience though, my wife won't budge on me having a motorcycle after countless efforts on my part to change that over the last 14 years. Oh well, the things we do for family.

one reason why I got divorced. And first thing I bought, as I moved out, was a FZR1000 2LA... - ok- was one of many reasons. And after now 15 years divorced- she still don't get, why I left, because it was not another woman :LOL:
As we went on tour with the bikes- we actually had special motorcycle tents with us- mine was even so big, it had a bike garage on one end. special sleeping bag, special motorcycle- cooker and dishes- all in all it was fitting in the bag on the hump. clothes I had in my backpack and the what not's plus rain-combi in my tank bag.
But yeah... my motorcycle time is over- can't do it no more because of my back - and I can live with that excuse. And I now I love my camper- always in my mind, I could, if I would like to- but I don't want to. But who knows... it might catch up with me, one day. And I know, my wife would not be happy, but she would never say anything about it....as long as she has her house, her car, her shopping, her hair color, her smokes, her shoes, her............ :LOL:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
one reason why I got divorced. And first thing I bought, as I moved out, was a FZR1000 2LA...

Through our years, my wife explained to me that she and my daughter had to deal with the risks of me being in the military, now she has to deal with the risks of me being a police officer, so she doesn't need any more risks with the inattentive drivers that can't seem to remove their faces from their phones while driving.

I can't say I disagree with the logic as I deal with plenty of accidents at work and the OVERWHELMING majority is due to drivers not paying attention to driving and slamming into the back, side, or front of another vehicle. Those accidents are usually far worse than the weather related accidents. I decided that there were other things I could do to entertain myself, but the longing is still there to have a motorcycle, which is probably made worse by the fact that I have a carbon fiber road bicycle that I enjoy some speedy descents on.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Well, I actually ended up "pimping" my latest bike- a FZR1000 3LE- for the race track. I had somewhat $30000 euros in it (about $45000)- ok- I had nothing else to pay for.
It was actually completely race-performance bike. I made my racing license in Rhine du Anneau in France with Speer Racing, with b-amateur license. This made it possible to go to race tracks all over Europe (which I did). And I did not ride on the road no more. One thing for sure- if you fall on a track, it's not even half as bad, because there is nothing, you can hit. This would be an alternative. I enjoyed Hockenheimring every Thursday, occasionally Rhine du Anneau, Rijeka, Nuremburg Ring, etc... - it was great and I met a lot of absolute cool dude's. I found out- race tracks are special. I sold my bike as I moved to the US and that's the only thing, I miss.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
Right now in Southern California & Arizona, it would be hard to find a place to camp

The Snowbirds have not packed up yet, they move down to the desert from the northern States & Canada when they see the first snowflake & leave the desert in April & May

If you take this off ramp today, there are about 100 - 200 trailers parked in no order, there is no electricity, no cement slabs, no sewage, no nothing out in that desert, they will all be gone by May

Once the snowbirds have left, that area looks more like this, people enjoying their toys in the sand

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMlbX-ZzxY

1 - 20 of 80 Posts