DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few years now it has been reported that FCA was looking to sell Magneti Marelli in order to free up a few billion in spending cash; back in 2015 it was estimated that they'd get about $3.3 billion off the sale:

https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=202753

Well the deal was finalized today, so now Calsonic Kansei Corporation of Japan owns Magneti Marelli; and instead of $3.3 bil, FCA got $7.1 bil for it.

https://www.allpar.com/news/2018/10/magneti-marelli-merger-spinoff-is-official-42581

Personally I think this move made sense; FCA already has Mopar as their OEM parts brand and didn't need two parts OEMs. Hopefully the extra cash greases the skids on the development of long rumored new products like the LX/LC/LD/LA replacement, Wagoneer, BOF Ram SUV, and Dakota replacement.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Would also like to see them put some money into reducing the weight and increasing efficiency of the Chrysler 300, Charger and maybe Challenger. Perhaps use some spin off from Alpha Romeo. I'm thinking a lighter sexier Charger with Ecodiesel . Just dreaming....

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh, I think people who complain about the weight of the Challenger are missing the point; they are comparing it to the Camaro and Mustang. Its a larger car than they are and the only reason people compare them is that Dodge doesn't have a midsize coupe and Chevy and Ford don't have full size coupes. The Challenger weighs from 3900 to 4500 lbs, Camaro is 3400 to 4100, and Mustang is 3400-3900. Heavier, but understandable given the difference in size and people exaggerate to make it seem like they can't handle very well.

Looking at the Charger it is right at the same weight as the M5 and the R/T is similar to the Stinger GT in weight and output-though the Stinger is more closely priced to an SRT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts