DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about installing a set of OEM Fender flares, I'm getting a lot of dirt on the side of my truck with the 20" wheels. I do not want the large flares but like the looks of the OEM, I contacted my dealer and the OEM ones they have are black with a slight texture. They suppose to be able to be painted which I will do. I have a white truck and I do not think the black would look good. I have not seen the texture yet, they are getting a set in for me to see. I'm still concerned how much the texture will show, the ones that comes on from the factory has no texture and are smooth and matches the truck. I do not think that you could give them a coating of glass they may crack, and I do not know if you could sand them, Has anyone had had any experience with this. They tell me that these are the only ones available from dodge. So I guess it will be these of nothing, I do have the flaps on now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have OEM mud flaps on mine and don't have an issue with the factory tires slinging dirt on the side of my truck, I also have the Nerf bars on it maybe that helps keep dirt and debris down. Did you change tires and have wider tires on your Ram?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not sure the OEM fender flares by themselves will solve the dirt on your truck issue... Mine has the OEM flares and the 20" tires still slung dirt all over the sides until I installed the mud flaps. Good luck

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have the flaps, I was going to install the flares and keep the flaps which the dealer said that I could as long as they are not the molded flaps which they are not.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I bought the Bushwackers after looking at the Mopar brand

I left mine black, but i have an burnt orange Ram & wanted to break up the color

You can paint them or Line-x them, maybe even powder coat them

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've always liked the look of the great big bushwacker flares, I really want them for mine, but can't afford em at all anytime soon. And I don't think you'd be able to powder coat them, I'm pretty sure that's only on metal because it creates a bond, but I could always be wrong on that. I'd LineX em, I love the way that looks!! Or, there's always plasti-dip, just to get a feel for em anyways in different color combos...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm thinking about installing a set of OEM Fender flares, I'm getting a lot of dirt on the side of my truck with the 20" wheels. I do not want the large flares but like the looks of the OEM, I contacted my dealer and the OEM ones they have are black with a slight texture. They suppose to be able to be painted which I will do. I have a white truck and I do not think the black would look good. I have not seen the texture yet, they are getting a set in for me to see. I'm still concerned how much the texture will show, the ones that comes on from the factory has no texture and are smooth and matches the truck. I do not think that you could give them a coating of glass they may crack, and I do not know if you could sand them, Has anyone had had any experience with this. They tell me that these are the only ones available from dodge. So I guess it will be these of nothing, I do have the flaps on now.
Check out this thread:http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?p=345334#post345334
I've seen RansRAM's truck. The fender flares look great. Not sure who painted them for him but they did a good job. Smooth as a baby's a**, color matched great.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I just ordered the Bushwacker Pocket style flares off Amazon with 2.5 " coverage for $379.00. I currently have no mud flaps and hope this helps, but if it don't ? at least it will look cool.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flares

Well yes and no to getting them painted from dodge, I ordered a set of 4 from dodge. I was expecting to get black with a slight texture. When the parts man unwrapped them they where painted and clear coated. Nice and smooth really looked great. Only one problem they where gray and my truck is white. Well anyway I took they to the body shop and the guy was pleased that they where smooth and had no texture. he said the texture may be hard to see but they would not shine like these will. So he is going to sand and repaint white, he is very busy so it will be a coupl of weeks. It will be a long two weeks, it seam like that when you are waiting.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Well yes and no to getting them painted from dodge, I ordered a set of 4 from dodge. I was expecting to get black with a slight texture. When the parts man unwrapped them they where painted and clear coated. Nice and smooth really looked great. Only one problem they where gray and my truck is white. Well anyway I took they to the body shop and the guy was pleased that they where smooth and had no texture. he said the texture may be hard to see but they would not shine like these will. So he is going to sand and repaint white, he is very busy so it will be a coupl of weeks. It will be a long two weeks, it seam like that when you are waiting.
That makes sense with the info I received from the dealer. When they were available (and there may still be some stock around) they were in the grey or gold; the colours used for the two-tone Rams. They were not available in each body colour. See below:

Mopar Online Parts said:
The short answer to your question is no, the flares are no longer available pre-painted as chrysler has superseded most of the part numbers to require paint now.

There were originally 2 different painted color flares available from the factory this is one of the colors on this truck http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...ars_Trucks&hash=item1e6b0a98bc#ht_9382wt_1078

I was not able to find the other color but I believe it is a gold color.

There is also an accessory flare kit available that is mineral gray but grained texture that can be painted. This Kit would be the most cost effective way to add flares to your truck.

This can sound somewhat confusing so please get back to me if you have any questions.

Thank you , Benny
So if you get them they need to be painted body colour but you can get them smooth for painting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts