DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you were around when fiat seemed slipped out of the us in the middle of the night way back when and do you have confidence in fiat products.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
isnt fiat all tied in with mopar now?

Kinda like saying oh how i love my Jag/Range Rover when it really just a ford in expensive clothing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I remember Fiat and others back in the early 70's. They had a few problems like all the imports, to include Honda, Toyota, and Datsun.

What killed the European imports was the emission requirements and the crash worthiness requirements that came out in the mid 70's. British Leland, Fiat, Alfa, and the others did a withdrawal from the US.

Back then, Fiat was a well respected car company in Europe.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I don't like them, they are way too small, like a mini cooper. I just don't comprehend the concept of paying way more money for much less vehicle...is it just me? I especially don't like them now that Jenifer Lopez does the commercials...I liked the south park episode about her though...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I purchased a low mileage 1979 Fiat Brava in 1983. I went to introduce myself to the local dealer and to inquire about service. They seemed very friendly and gave me some advice on what I needed serviced without giving me any indication of what was comming. One week later I tried to make an appointment for service and no one would answer so I went there only to find an empty building.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth for Fiat which I still carry to this day.

I guess I will have to get over it sometime.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
The fiat brand is a very respectable brand in europe, and has been for decades, just like alfa. It's hats to compare a company to what it was back in the 70s to what it is today. Different marketing strategies, management, and a vastly different economy. Fiat had specialized in the small commuter and luxury car marketboth of which are in demand in north america as we are now realizing that bigger isn't always better.

While I am a fan of trucks because I have use for one doesn't mean that everyone does. There's a big market share of people looking for a compact commuter that gets good mileage and is easy maneuver in the cities, my fiancee is one of those types because thats all she needs. It's almost impossible for her to park my truck in her hotel's parkade.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I think there is a sort of ebb and flow that goes on with various manufacturers throughout the years. There have been years where the domestics were considered to have problems, just as the imports. The trouble being that many of the imports tended to be a bit much to repair and find parts for.

That being said, I don't care for the new Fiat 500. In my opinion it's looks too much like a turd, especially when it's brown....

Exco

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I purchased a low mileage 1979 Fiat Brava in 1983. I went to introduce myself to the local dealer and to inquire about service. They seemed very friendly and gave me some advice on what I needed serviced without giving me any indication of what was comming. One week later I tried to make an appointment for service and no one would answer so I went there only to find an empty building.

The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth for Fiat which I still carry to this day.

I guess I will have to get over it sometime.
thats my point. screwed a lot of people, here.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Fiat = Fix It Again, Tony.

Back in the '70s they were considered throw away cars. When they broke you got rid of it and got another one. But from what I understand, Fiat is one of the worlds largest automotive manufactures so they must be doing something right.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't know much about fiat, and currently I accept them. However, that could easily change if they put the screws to chrysler like daimler did.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't know...I think if a car manufacturer wants to compete at the big table, it had better have a multitude of platforms. I think Fiat might bring some of that to the table if it's done properly. I see in an allpar article covering Mopar and Fiat products that Fiat lost its GM support in some of their powertrain options. This is where Mopar could fill a gap. While I may not be a 500 fan, you'd better offer some kind of platform like it to be seriously competitive in the automotive realm. Some of those Fiat van/truck platforms were kind of cool too. If done properly, the Fiat/Mopar could create a powerhouse of options...or fall flat if mucked up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't like them, they are way too small, like a mini cooper. I just don't comprehend the concept of paying way more money for much less vehicle...is it just me? I especially don't like them now that Jenifer Lopez does the commercials...I liked the south park episode about her though...
I agree 100% why get so little car for so much money, id rather buy a ram or parts for one........ and that south park episode of her......awesome :LOL:

·
Registered
18 Posts
FIAT=Fits in a Truck.
I spent three years over in Italy when i was in the Navy. The FIAT Cinquecento (500) was an incredible looking car when properly restored. Being 6'5 280, it was way too small for the likes of me, but I think it was comparable to a Volswagen Bug. I think there is certainly a niche for it here in the US, and they need to continue using the model they did in the Abarthe Commecial. ;D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am a robot programmer in the auto industry. I actually worked on the lines that build these cars in Toluca, Mexico. Even without interiors these cars are tiny. When I had to get in the car to program the robot weld path inside the vehicle, there was hardly any room at all.

This car does have minor changes to the Europe version. They had to add welds and change weld locations to achieve a good crash test in accordance with our laws. They also had to move the gas filler neck for the same reason. These cars actually run down the same line as the Dodge Journey, which is another project I did back in 2007 and 2008.

I never liked the car when I worked on the project in 2010 and now seeing them here in the U.S., I still don't like them. But it is funny when you see two big fat guys sitting in one together taking pictures...

Oh, and Fiat owns 61% of Chrysler no if I remember right. Plus Fiat has an interest in Comau which is an integrator for the auto industry. Comau does majority of Chryslers work here in Detroit.. See what's going on here?? Money staying within Fiat.. helps the world go round and round...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts