DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i haven't put a topper on my truck yet. i can say stay away from eagle toppers. i have had great success with jericho, look good and hold up. this being said, i don't use my truck for work, it is my toy.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Google LEER caps, very good quality.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A.R.E. makes a great camper top in just about every size and style you'd want. They factory color match and have tons of uesful options in their selection. I have one on my '12 reg cab/short bed Express and love it. Leer and Snugtop are two other brands I would consider.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a snug top for my 11 I had a leer for my 04 f150. I liked the quality of the leer a touch better. I was at the dealer and someone had an are and it looked to fit tighter to the back of the truck and the top of the cap looked a bit more stream lined than the snug top. I went with the snug top over the ARE because the roof is supposed to be stronger, corners are more reinforced, and the interior roof light comes on when you open the rear door. The leer has a better door hinge. I do like the leer much better, but it doesn't look as good on this truck as the snug top does. I feel the snug top has the best look. The windows are the same size in height. And the lines are perfect. Leers looks weird and ARE the windows looked crooked. Just my 2 cents. I'll throw in some pics for you.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Here in my region I have the option of ARE, Leer and Ranch. Comparable models are ARE Z, Leer 100XL and Ranch Premiere. They are all very similar in looks with the ARE having hidden hinges and a headliner standard. You are also paying the most for the ARE. I will probably go with the Ranch model due to it being about $200 cheaper than the Leer. One thing to watch for is the lip of the rear window since our trucks have the rounded tailgate. Maybe not a big deal for everyone but the ARE and the Ranch models have a plastic lip at the bottom of the rear window to fit nicely over the top of the tailgate. It looks like the Snugtop that gysnst2 has in the above post has the lip. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I will probably order the Ranch on Monday and it will probably take 3 weeks to arrive. Will definitely post some pics when I get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the information so quickly. The snugtop looks very nice. I see the curve in the tailgate too. Good info! We have a big trip in June and I want one before then.

Dan

·
Registered
718 Posts
The snugtop is actualy fiberglass that covers the lip of the tailgate. That was the other reason I picked the snug top over the ARE. The one sale person had one In the lot and the plastic looked like crap after a few years. The glass one should hold out much longer. If it is waxed once a year.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The snugtop is actualy fiberglass that covers the lip of the tailgate. That was the other reason I picked the snug top over the ARE. The one sale person had one In the lot and the plastic looked like crap after a few years. The glass one should hold out much longer. If it is waxed once a year.
My A.R.E. has the molded fiberglass lip over the tailgate too, and I have the base model ARE. Maybe that sales guy had an old one. I agree that this point of contact and molding is very important on our later model Rams to keep it from looking like crap.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Good observation. The Ranch version is fiberglass as well. Ranch all the way for me now.

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
I think that ARE , Leer and Snug Top are the top three. I think all three of them are in about the same price range. I have had both the Leer and Snug Top and I liked the Snug Top better, althougth they could never get the side windows to quit leaking. The paint was almost a perfect match and I liked the fold down front window for cleaning the back window of the truck. Never had a latch probem however had to replace the window struts after about 3 years. I think the Snug Top looked better and followed the lines of the truck better.
Jay

G

·
I went with the same SnugTop that gynst2 did, except that I did a special order that allows the window next to the cab to be swung inward and up on hydraulic cylinders so you can clean both sides or leave it up so that you can open your rear window and have thru breeze...and because I raise and train show dogs, (Rhodesian Ridgebacks) I had the "pet screens" put in to protect the more fragile bug screen material behind them, and to keep the dogs from busting out thru the bug screen material if you have the sliders open.

I did a lot of comparisons and went the SnugTop because it was beefier than the Leer, had more reinforcement to the corners, the top was more solid when you'd bang on it...and I even sat on the roof of one they had as a floor sample, the lip comes about 3 inches over the top of the tailgate for more security (if any camper shell is really secure), has the light inside that comes on when you open the door. I also noted that the hinges are totally concealed inside the rear window, and there is no metal framing around the edges that can crack with age and wear. The fit is so tight that you can't even see the latches on each side that twist handle unlocks.

These new camper shells are installed with special clips that fit under the rail so you don't see them and require no drilling so you don't have to worry about rust or drilling holes into your bed rail. The ouch part is that because of the special order with the folding window, pet screens etc, it came to around $2500 installed. That's a bit pricey for a shell, but what the hell, this is my last vehicle and I need something secure for the dogs.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dj very nice. Yeah the clips on the snug top are molded into the cap. It's a nice clean look.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
I went with the same SnugTop that gynst2 did, except that I did a special order that allows the window next to the cab to be swung inward and up on hydraulic cylinders so you can clean both sides or leave it up so that you can open your rear window and have thru breeze...and because I raise and train show dogs, (Rhodesian Ridgebacks) I had the "pet screens" put in to protect the more fragile bug screen material behind them, and to keep the dogs from busting out thru the bug screen material if you have the sliders open.

I did a lot of comparisons and went the SnugTop because it was beefier than the Leer, had more reinforcement to the corners, the top was more solid when you'd bang on it...and I even sat on the roof of one they had as a floor sample, the lip comes about 3 inches over the top of the tailgate for more security (if any camper shell is really secure), has the light inside that comes on when you open the door. I also noted that the hinges are totally concealed inside the rear window, and there is no metal framing around the edges that can crack with age and wear. The fit is so tight that you can't even see the latches on each side that twist handle unlocks.

These new camper shells are installed with special clips that fit under the rail so you don't see them and require no drilling so you don't have to worry about rust or drilling holes into your bed rail. The ouch part is that because of the special order with the folding window, pet screens etc, it came to around $2500 installed. That's a bit pricey for a shell, but what the hell, this is my last vehicle and I need something secure for the dogs.
nice dogs jones. almost got one about ten years ago, wanted a mountain biking "friend". but brown bears started showing up in my are of north jersey and switched to a road bike. didn't think it would be good for the dog to run a few miles on a hard surface. i am sure it is too far but do you ever show your dogs in the north east. steve

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Just got my Ranch Premiere installed today.

2K Cdn installed including drop down front slider and keyless entry.

By the way, for those who don't like black because they think it's hard to keep clean and looking good, my truck is pretty dirty right now. How's it look?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
well don't have the CC...I don't sit in the back seat so I could care less about who has how much leg room....needed the bigger bed to haul the quad...my top is a Century....fits good and the quad still fits

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
All are great looking....Nicely done....Good luck with your decision please keep us updated.....

G

·
$800

Huntergreen: a little off topic...don't show in the N/E,but feel free to go to my website at www.JusticeRidge.com and take a look a the champions I've produced. Great stock...wonderful breed. I bought the truck with the screens etc. in the camper just to haul them around. It has special "pet screens" that really do the job. These dogs run 90-110#.

I really like this truck...going to do some mods thru a guy who's really a race car guru. Saw his truck today, and he's got a chip, a new kind of intake, and a throttle body block that add about 20 HP to the mix. I wnat to have a dyno run before and after I do this. Too much BS in these forums about how much HP the various mods produce. I need PROOF, not PUFF. I'm going to drive his truck tomorrow and see what his expertise has done. He onlhy spent around $800 for what he tells me is "awesome performance". He's running some programmable chip made specifically for the make/year of the particular vehicle. I'll be interested to see just how much more HP and torque it really produces.but he tells me he's only using about 1/4 depression on his accelerator to get what used to be a half way or more.. There is too much fluff floating around the fourms...I need stats and dyno sheets. BTW, the chip is smog certified for California...so it doesn't need to be removed for smog checks, but who cares, we don't need a smog check for 5 years on a new truck....

*****I NEED TO AMEND SOME INCORRECT INFO I POSTED: He installed an "Airaid Intake" which changes the whole air box and intake routing but has connections for the sensors etc. It's an exact fit with no drilling or modification required. THAT is what has the California CARB exemption. He also installed the throttle body spacer (which may not be CARB exempt but you can't see it) and uses the SuperChip tuner. Since the tuner saves off the original ECU file, you would have to revert it to the stock file before smog check, but what the hell, that's not for FIVE YEARS on a new truck. The issue is moot at this point because no one has a tuner that can break thru the encryption codes Dodge has in their ECU. By itself, I don't think you'd get much performance out of the Airaid intake or throttle body spacer without being able to tune it. Save your money till SuperChip or Bullydog break the codes then do all three and then you'll see a setup that truly has power....not propaganda or fluff advertising that the CAI's put out for 10 or 12 HP...all BS. Without the ability to tune, I think you'll throw CELs on the throttle body install.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts