DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

this is the biggest rust spot its top of the cab on the front passenger side above the door.

what fix is needed?
and is this a common problem? (not sure how it was treated but the bed (whole thing) shows wear but nothing that paint pen and line-x can fix. reason i ask if its common, my 96 had the faded/peeling paint issue. due to the primer used (epa safe).

then if you look above the rust you will see it starting (kinda like chipped/cracked paint.) i got those in various locations will add pic later.

thanks guys. i plan on talking to my detail guy next week about it and see what he says as well.

edit would it be worth trying to get the dealership to take care of it? or just stick with my org plan. see my truck has the NO8 recall (used my vin on the rams website.) and its something that worries me (last recall i had was the 907 (throttle cable on my 96 and it worried me). and i figured i could talk to them and see about the paint as well (i know they can fix it but will cost me tons of dollars...)

but i wont talk to them about it unless yall think its worth seeing if i can get the whole thing fixed for cheap maybe defective paint like my 96 had? seems odd my 11 has rust (i think the truck lived its life in the south.)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More pics later.
But this is what i was talking about

thats on the tail gate got more like that one is on the drivers side quarter panel near the top. Pretty sure there is more (only counted 3 spots like that). Then got some rust on the drivers rear quarter panel. Post pic later. Near the bumper
then it goes from there pretty much

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take it to a dealer...I know the corrosion warranty is 5/100 on my 2012. I don't know if they'll fix the chips by what looks like a wheel arch, but the tailgate rust is coming through from underneath and they should fix it Through a claim no problem as long as it's original paintings. For the chips, go to an automotive store, by a fibreglass prep pen for $8 and sand off the surface rust, get some touch up paint and do it yourself.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wouldn't use touch up on that. I don't know if that's a factory issue or not, but I would take that to a shop check the thickness of the paint. But if you just sand that off and touch it up, it'll be back before long. I would definitely take that to professional. Big spots like that should have been addressed a long time ago.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks and i agree it worries me, and carfax shows no issues.) and how i didnt notice the rust well the last pic i did and them cracks.
here are some more spots that goes along with the first rust pic on the bed..

i guess the best thing is like you said take it to somebody that knows what to do. and rust isnt a nice thing to have. (might get them little spots fixed...)

and how do i go about fixing them cracks..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not saying touch up the big stuff....go get it repainted...but the small tiny chips you can manage yourself and save having to repaint that panel. but all in all, I would push to make a claim and try and have Chrysler cover as much as possible. I have an appointment with my dealer on Wednesday morning to file a claim as rust is poking through from under the paint on my roof. if you pay cash it won't show up on a carfax it's very common because it devalues a vehicle and the second hand market can't have that now can they.....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be taking the truck to get the recall done Hopefully this week and will talk to them about it then..

And the paint is original.

Hopefully that warranty can fix it. Maybe could get a whole repaint? Due to more then 1 area. (Thinking out loud here )

Never knew about the paying cash on a car fax report. Dealer (where i bought it) showed 2 service reports, he said the owner probably took it to a quick lube place.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Will be heading to the dealership Thursday. Haven't talked to them about the rust yet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
called another dealer they said thuseday asked if they can do it today and they can

hopefully they are nice about dealing with the rust issue

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update, truck got the recall fixed no worry there

check this out they arent going to fix the rust, (the service man was straight up (he was nice) but he said they will not fix it due to the truck has slight dents and scratches (but yet none of the scratches were deep.
and the bumper has been hit (that pic where the rust is) (funny car fax showed no accidents)

but he did say i should take it back to the dealership i bought it from and see what they can do.

he did pull the po's info he said it came from the coast (Mississippi to be exact) and could have seen salt from the ocean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
just throwing it out there, dealerships are very unknowlegable and a lot of times they will just throw you under the rug because running claims hurts their bottom line. Dont think for one second they know everything...did you buy the truck second hand? And recently??? I bought my 2012 last july knowing it had repainted panels when the carproof/carfax was clean. If by chance you know someone in the bodyshop/professional detailing industry, or even a friend at a car dealer, ask if they have a digital paint thickness gauge, measure the readings from panel to panel and check for consistency. If all readings are close to one another its original paint, if there is a spike in a numbered reading its been repainted.. And i think that east coast comment is a load of crap. I would do everything within your means to prevent out of pocket..if you bought the truck recently, even try splitting it 50/50

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the truck used at the dealership
Dont have any friends in the paint business. Only my detail /electric guy. Gonna give the dealership a call later on today and see what they can do. And i agree i shouldn't have to pay a thing.

I know dealerships arnt always that smart but this one was.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Interesting thread. Is that rust on the roof near the roof seam? I mean where the black plastic trim goes across the roof panel? I think it might be a design issue.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting thread. Is that rust on the roof near the roof seam? I mean where the black plastic trim goes across the roof panel? I think it might be a design issue.
Your correct because i also found this on the back drivers side door

Same above my door as well...^^ have yet to see it on the passenger rear door...

also found another rust spot while Washing the truck back rear quarter panel by the bumper

I wonder if its been hit on that side? Crawed under the truck and nothing looked out of place the frame is 99% clean

Plus i also got paint peeling on the hood found out after washing my truck here while back
First off I have had 4 vehicles in my lifetime and all have been washed via power washer at car wash, this is a first for me because the water took the clear coat off its only on hood (i have also held it at close distance to get bug guts off the painted top bumper piece nothing..)

What i had....
89 ram (was a repaint) can't recall paint issues or not
96 ram (worse condition then this 11) didn't have one issue (faded paint on hood and peeling along the bed) also very little rust in some spots on the bed
14 cruze no issues with paint
11 ram rust spots and peeling

How is the best way to fight this? Its used truck as well

Take this for example (true story)
My 96-nothing but paint issues (clean body) can't remember how mine was kept but i know the po drove it 40miles to work each day...
Dads 96-dents (farm truck) expect his was kept in a garge until it needed to work

Difference between the 2 rams his is 4by and 5speed mine is opposite

·
Registered
726 Posts
Your correct because i also found this on the back drivers side door

Same above my door as well...^^ have yet to see it on the passenger rear door...

also found another rust spot while Washing the truck back rear quarter panel by the bumper

I wonder if its been hit on that side? Crawed under the truck and nothing looked out of place the frame is 99% clean

Plus i also got paint peeling on the hood found out after washing my truck here while back
First off I have had 4 vehicles in my lifetime and all have been washed via power washer at car wash, this is a first for me because the water took the clear coat off its only on hood (i have also held it at close distance to get bug guts off the painted top bumper piece nothing..)

What i had....
89 ram (was a repaint) can't recall paint issues or not
96 ram (worse condition then this 11) didn't have one issue (faded paint on hood and peeling along the bed) also very little rust in some spots on the bed
14 cruze no issues with paint
11 ram rust spots and peeling

How is the best way to fight this? Its used truck as well

Take this for example (true story)
My 96-nothing but paint issues (clean body) can't remember how mine was kept but i know the po drove it 40miles to work each day...
Dads 96-dents (farm truck) expect his was kept in a garge until it needed to work

Difference between the 2 rams his is 4by and 5speed mine is opposite

This is a little concerning, since the reason I mentioned was it near the roof seam is because today I was clay baring my roof, I noticed some paint imperfections on the edge where that rubber roof trim piece is located on a few areas up there. I figured they are merely dust or dirt nibs like what I have elsewhere. However, after seeing yours, perhaps yours appeared like mine when it was new? Who knows.. All I know is I probably will not get much for my ride when I trade it in about 5 years time. Which will be the longest time I have ever kept a vehicle to be honest in the last decade. I have had about 4 vehicles in the last 6-7 years, 2 during the last 3 years.

Back on topic, hopefully mine are dust nibs and not blisters awaiting to burst into rust.:wow:

EDIT. Your last image definately looks like something hit that area.

·
Registered
726 Posts
just throwing it out there, dealerships are very unknowlegable and a lot of times they will just throw you under the rug because running claims hurts their bottom line. Dont think for one second they know everything...did you buy the truck second hand? And recently??? I bought my 2012 last july knowing it had repainted panels when the carproof/carfax was clean. If by chance you know someone in the bodyshop/professional detailing industry, or even a friend at a car dealer, ask if they have a digital paint thickness gauge, measure the readings from panel to panel and check for consistency. If all readings are close to one another its original paint, if there is a spike in a numbered reading its been repainted.. And i think that east coast comment is a load of crap. I would do everything within your means to prevent out of pocket..if you bought the truck recently, even try splitting it 50/50

So are you saying and I am smiling as I type this. That if I were to measure my paint thickness on my factory painted Ram it will all be similar in mil?
I doubt it on this particular vehicle:gy:

·
Registered
215 Posts
The roof on my 04 Ram was all cracked and rusted paint like yours but all over the top. Buddy owns a body shop he sanded it down and repainted the whole roof, the metal underneath was fine it was just a little surface rust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts