DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll make a long story short. I had a issue with my truck last week. The motor seemed to be misfiring so I took it to the dealership to get looked at. It turned out that it was an upstream O2 sensor that was causing my problem. Anyway, when I took the truck in, I tried explaining to the service manager what my issue was with the truck and he kind of blew me off. He asked me where I based my opinion of what was wrong with my truck off of. I told him I'd done some reading on a truck forum ( This one!! ) to try and get a feel for what I was looking at. Then heres the kicker. The service manager told me "I wouldnt put too much into what you read on those forums. The people who post on those forums dont work in shops and rarely know what theyre talking about." Well, because of some of the info I got off this forum, I was leaning toward an O2 sensor problem myself, which is what it turned out to be.
So anyway, I just want to thank all the people who DO take the time to post on this forum to help other guys/ladies out. Because I know a majority of you DO know what youre talking about, and thats why I keep coming back here! Thank You!!:smileup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Some thanks for you on this one. This forum is a great sauce for info in the Dodge family of trucks. Were not perfect but there are some very smart,well informed Dodge lover here.They will at the drop of a hat will go too great lenghts for the info some of us look for on a daily basis.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think those managers in any shop think they are no-it-alls thats my opinion

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm sure dealerships and shops of different kinds get some pretty stupid comments and assessments occasionally from their customers with automotive problems that the customer is somehow basing on observations from some of these forums. But to dismiss outright the information garnered from all forums and all customers shows a rather elitist and tunnel-visioned attitude on the part of such a dealership or shop. A closed mind is like a closed book...just a block of wood.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Glad you got your truck fixed and there are a bunch of great people here willing to help out!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Did he have any further comment when he found out you were right?? I would have rubbed it in his face.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't see how he can tell you to not believe what you read on here. I mean really, I don't know a lot about cars, but if I have a problem with my truck and I take it in, then post on here what the mechanics at the dealer tell me was wrong with it and what they did to fix it, what does it matter? This guy still a teenager that knows it all or something? The forumz have been a huge help to a lot of people that have had issues with cars, trucks, whatever. These things are mass produced, and it might be pretty difficult to have an issue someone else hasn't had too.

Oh yeah, and the forumz are also entertaining! I love looking at the pics of other people's trucks, drooling over their lift kits and big tires that I someday want to have.

G

·
And then again, you can't always believe what you read here. We try to make sure erroneous info doesn't get posted here but it happens. Remember the disclaimer and make an informed decision on your own.

One thing I learned is that the information and knowledge you get from a forum like this is helpful but I keep it to myself. I don't tell the dealer what needs to be fixed. I tell them what I am experiencing, how the vehicle is running, what the symptoms are and let THEM figure it out. The info here, while good, is used for understanding, not directing the dealer technicians IMHO.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I post what the dealer found out when looking for a cure to a issue
especially the TSBs, RRTs, etc.

I don't tell the Service Writer what the answer is
but i will tell him what it acts like,
like when i had a imbalanced tire issue, they gave up trying to fix it, saying that they could NOT find the problem. I finally told them to take off ALL the weights & start from scratch, it did fix the issue. When you tell them what to do, they WILL do it & charge you for it, even if it does not fix it

·
Registered
698 Posts
And then again, you can't always believe what you read here. We try to make sure erroneous info doesn't get posted here but it happens. Remember the disclaimer and make an informed decision on your own.

One thing I learned is that the information and knowledge you get from a forum like this is helpful but I keep it to myself. I don't tell the dealer what needs to be fixed. I tell them what I am experiencing, how the vehicle is running, what the symptoms are and let THEM figure it out. The info here, while good, is used for understanding, not directing the dealer technicians IMHO.
There's some truth to this statement. When talking to a mechanic or service writer at a dealership, it's usually best to "suggest" something you might have heard when necessary rather than beat them over the head some perceived knowledge about a problem. Better yet as MD suggests, maybe better to see if they can just pursue the problem on their own. They often have bulletins and such about many of the problems that surface and are often not as in the dark as we might think.

Still, sometimes you have to "nudge" them in the right direction with some good ol' internet knowledge. On my wife's HHR that was just fixing to go out of the 5 year warranty, I eventually had to suggest why a check engine light was coming on. I have a performance monitor and scan tool for OBDII vehicles. It involved a replacement of the injectors and reflash of the computer that I learned about on the HHR forum when a certain code was noted. The service writer and mechanic found a bulletin on it and performed the outlined service which worked perfectly to address the issue. Most times these folks don't have as big a head as the service guy mentioned here by the original poster.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Geez Fred, it's obvious you have no clue what you're doing... the plug wires don't go on the wiper blades and you're even using a bungie cord to hold your A/C compressor in place, sheer stupidity :gy:

Remember people, this is the internet, it's not 100% safe. The mods and admins are like your condom, we protect you from 99.9% of the bad stuff, but every so often you can end up with that burning sensation after you get screwed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts