DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm sure dealerships and shops of different kinds get some pretty stupid comments and assessments occasionally from their customers with automotive problems that the customer is somehow basing on observations from some of these forums. But to dismiss outright the information garnered from all forums and all customers shows a rather elitist and tunnel-visioned attitude on the part of such a dealership or shop. A closed mind is like a closed book...just a block of wood.

·
Registered
698 Posts
And then again, you can't always believe what you read here. We try to make sure erroneous info doesn't get posted here but it happens. Remember the disclaimer and make an informed decision on your own.

One thing I learned is that the information and knowledge you get from a forum like this is helpful but I keep it to myself. I don't tell the dealer what needs to be fixed. I tell them what I am experiencing, how the vehicle is running, what the symptoms are and let THEM figure it out. The info here, while good, is used for understanding, not directing the dealer technicians IMHO.
There's some truth to this statement. When talking to a mechanic or service writer at a dealership, it's usually best to "suggest" something you might have heard when necessary rather than beat them over the head some perceived knowledge about a problem. Better yet as MD suggests, maybe better to see if they can just pursue the problem on their own. They often have bulletins and such about many of the problems that surface and are often not as in the dark as we might think.

Still, sometimes you have to "nudge" them in the right direction with some good ol' internet knowledge. On my wife's HHR that was just fixing to go out of the 5 year warranty, I eventually had to suggest why a check engine light was coming on. I have a performance monitor and scan tool for OBDII vehicles. It involved a replacement of the injectors and reflash of the computer that I learned about on the HHR forum when a certain code was noted. The service writer and mechanic found a bulletin on it and performed the outlined service which worked perfectly to address the issue. Most times these folks don't have as big a head as the service guy mentioned here by the original poster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.