DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
I don't know about the reliability or functionality of the Jet tuner product line. I know that SuperChips and Bullydog are top rated, but what's the past performance and reputation of the Jet product line? I need to hear from some folks who have offered their trucks up as guinea pigs before I jump on this one.....did they rush to production, or has there been some QC and verified beta testing?

I'm cautious when it comes to messing with the mapping. This is not to say I'm knocking the product....just haven't heard much about the company moslty because Iv'e been partial to SuperChips and Innovate.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can you post a link to the information?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
This? LOL! for $330 ???

http://www.jetchip.com/

Sorry, but that's not a tuner/programmer, just a plug and play "chip"

You can probably find similar products on ebay for any vehicle for $50
that consist of a small black plastic plug with a few pennies worth of resistors that you plug into your OBDII port or PCM

You cant "program" or tune any of the performance parameters or settings.

That would have to come from someone like Diablosport, Superchips,Bully Dog etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
BlackRamHemi you ever heard of a piggyback tuner? :LOL:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
LOL, yup...not my first rodeo

Go ahead, spend your $330 and meet me at the track :LOL:

You may want to pick up a Sprint Booster too, and maybe a tornado throttle body spacer

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=96454

Jet chip modules are basically a waste of money, they just trick the computer and dump fuel, doesn't help performance and makes the engine run worse all around.

It looks like they actually may make a real tuner on that site, but I don't know anything about that, just know about the piggyback "chips".
JET chips usually are piggyback chips that clip onto the ecm/pcm and are not much more than a resistor that changes a or multiple sensor signals and "tricks" the computer to thinking it's running lean, so then the computer adds fuel. This F's up the A/F ratio and is not good for performance, fuel economy, or engine longevity in general. Also it has no effect at WOT anyway because at WOT you are in open loop and sensor input is not used.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I dunno.....I once bought a "reprogrammed" computer for my 92 Dakota , from Mopar. They claimed the stuff Jet claims below.....and honestly, there may have been some top end gain, but low end? Not really.

I cant see the plug and play deals being much different.....

Seems to me that Ma Mopar would have tuned the engine already for

"Improves throttle response, acceleration and low end torque"

Modern engines are programmed for middle of the road performance, generally, allowing for pollution control, gas mileage and performance.

At least for "stage 1". Stock truck. How much is there really to gain over Mopar's programming?

Stage 2 is when you change out exhaust, etc etc etc. I guess I can see how replacing your exhaust, adding headers and a bigger throttle body with better air intake would not be able to be made up for by the stock curves......

.....my question would be, what is being given up and do the benefits outweigh the downside....for instance, if the engine runs hotter, that could lead to future issues....etc.

Anyone wanna be the guinea pig? LOL

From the Jet site

The JET Performance Module for Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep vehicles is a JET exclusive. Dynamic Spectrum Tuning provides power gains across the entire power band-not just at full throttle. Point by point air/fuel ratio, ignition advance and various other tuning points provide performance gains of up to 25 horsepower. Improves throttle response, acceleration and low end torque. Simple, plug-in installation in less than 30 minutes. More Details Installation Instructions

Stage 1-For stock or mildly modified vehicles. Fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using less expensive, lower octane fuels. Programming is designed to burn fuel at peak efficiency, which results in improved performance and mileage. Daily drivers can use lower cost regular fuel for potential mileage gains, but for optimal performance gains use of mid-grade or better is recommended.

Stage 2-Designed for the performance enthusiast, the Stage 2 features more aggressive programming to make the most horsepower and torque available. Fuel and timing curves are extensively modified for peak performance and drivability. Requires use of 91 octane fuel, 180 degree thermostat and free flow exhaust. Also works well with aftermarket intake systems, mass air sensors, TBI spacers, etc.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Not on my beautiful truck!

Kinda feels like letting a local mutt mount my perfect and pure Rottie:dog:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have heard of Jet Performance. Been around awhile and I've even seen a few magazine tests over the years proving they work. They were more popular on older, simpler vehicles (TBI Chevys come to mind) but considering Dodge still uses a speed density system vs a mass airflow system, it might work. Will I buy one? Probably not. But only cause I'll wait for an actual tuner but the plug in and forget it type chip might suit some people.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Jet released there tuner for the 2011-2012 rams. They claim 17hp an 19tq. Theothers can't be close behind. How is the forum not blowing up Haha
It's NOT a tuner/programmer, it's a power control module, so they haven't cracked any encryption or come up with anything 'special'.

As has been pointed out, this is nothing more then minor electronics to fool the PCM's interpretation of the sensor input. Although you 'may' notice a difference, you will never find one of these on any of my vehicles....ever!

Tuning is telling the PCM what to do under a certain set of conditions....no tricks and no altered input data. This unit alters the input data, so if something horrible happens like a lean condition that nets better fuel economy, the PCM will happily let it burn out the valves because it is getting altered data that says the A/F mixture is correct. Risky at best IMO.

If you install a TB spacer, at least you will be installing a device that is known to have absolutely no affect what so ever, and can expect the same. At least that way your expectations will be met, the PCM will keep your engine safe and you be out a whole lot less then $330. :smileup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
i had one

I regret to say it, but I had a jet piggyback pile of crap thing for a 99 ford about ten years ago. It came with sand paper to file that coating off of the terminals so it would connect. I'm not sure if ever was in the truck, no way of telling. And, do you guys think a tuner will help these trucks? Anything that you will notice, besides a slightly firmer shift or the ability to run 400 mph without cutting off. The only gas burner iv had that I could feel the tuner was a 08 v-max. I'm sure ill have to have one just like everybody else regardless of its results. Someone with a 10 model hemi tell me if its worth it.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I'm using a DS Predator with a 91 tune and really notice the difference, especially when I remove the tune to take the truck in for service. Those times are great reminder as to how much it actually does.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Piggyback chips are not a good product for all the reasons stated above. You could buy it if you want, but it's not going to help and may slowly cause some damage.

Jet is a fairly reputable company overall, so it always amazed me that they make and sell these "stage 1" and "stage 2" chips that are worthless.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
If you piggyback that jet chip or any other piggyback device on the 11-12 Ram's, wont the ECU try to re-adjust itself, I thought I read somewhere that you cant tweek the input info to the ecu for very long, over time it resets itself or something?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , my spoken english is not very good cuz im french but i was trying for 2weeks to contact bullydog for my 2012 ram 5.7hemi to know if there is a triple gt tuner update for thoses ..but no responce so far... As i said my spoken english is bad so i can't contact them by phone to ask my question...does anyone know whats going on whit that

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^I'm pretty sure they do not have one. There are no real tuners yet for 2011 and newer. There is a JET piggyback chip(and maybe others) but the general ruling on those is that they are a waste of money and junk.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts