DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to everybody who's debated weather a cai actually pulls colder air I am going to finally put It to rest. I bought a scangauge II a couple of days ago and one of the parameters it shows is intake air temp. So I've been driving around with my k&n intake on and yesterday i put my stock intake back on to see what the difference is and there is none not cruising down the road anyway the temp always stayed the same as the ambient air temp. The only difference was when at a stop the cai did pull hotter air from under the hood. I'm going to keep my cai just because it sounds mean and I do think there is a performance increase probably just from being able to flow more. Hope this helps and settles the debate. Oh yeah my cai is a k&n 63 series on my 2012 rcsb express

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
^That's because the stock intake is a cold air intake.
x2

about the only thing i can seeing helping the stock instake is replaceing the accordian connecting pipe with a smooth pipe and a few silicon elbows, but even that might be just more for looks. Smooth airflow is smooth airflow though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes but i think the cai performs better than the stock intake because it can pull alot more air than the small hole in the stock intake plus it looks better and sounds alot meaner

·
Registered
542 Posts
thats the problem with tube and filter "CIAs" they are pulling hot air from the engine bay.....seems like a simple concept to me

·
Registered
340 Posts
There are a few threads around where people have installed a 3" dryer vent tube from the bottom of the airbox to a hole created in the bottom unused trim piece.

Drill a 3" hole in the bottom front of the airbox.
install a shower drain with the grid removed and the connector pointing down Attach the 3" dryer vent hose. (they have a rigid form) run to the screen.

To do the screen they have removed the bottom center trim. Cut out the small end pieces and installed black egg crate to keep a balanced look.

Then mount the mouth of the tube at the egg crate hole.

One post had a picture of the area with the headlite removed and it is in the way of the air. That hole into the box is small too.

I like it....

Mikeski....

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is more about the volume of air the CAI filter pulls then the temp. As stated the factory box pulls outside air from the fender.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you look at the factory box, the opening to the outside air is smaller in diameter than the hose that goes from the box to the throttle body opening. Not to mention that air has to go through the filter. About anything you do from stock has got to help that motor breathe better.

I am going to pick up the parts to add the 3" tube to the stock box. Sounds like a nice project for Saturday.

Mikeski...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts