DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Ram. Always had Chevy's. Just picked it up today so I haven't really had a chance to drive it much but I really like how it looks.

I am a ham radio operator and want to put a radio in the truck. At full power they draw about 22 AMPS. I need to make a connection direct to the battery. What is the best way to get the wire through the firewall.

Look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ive done a few firewall holes myself. there should be a black plastic kind of square oval i think tucked up under the steering wheel, it should be visible in the engine bay also. basically drill a hole the size you need, then silicone it so the noise and fumes or cold/hot stay where they should etc. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Most of your heater & other things are on the passenger side
I would run your wire from the battery down to the lower firewall area, look for a rubber with a dimple in it, i think its just under the steering column.
The dimple is there just for a wire to pass through, easy to seal up.
Then run your wire under the carpet to where you want to put the radio, run a in line fuse of course, somewhere handy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I have a real stupid newbie question about the radi. I have a single cd radio. I was told it was a step above the base unti. When I have it in XM the display shows the channel and title of the station but not the clock. Can I get it to show both? I looked in the user guide and the dvd manual and didn't see anything.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I have a real stupid newbie question about the radi. I have a single cd radio. I was told it was a step above the base unti. When I have it in XM the display shows the channel and title of the station but not the clock. Can I get it to show both? I looked in the user guide and the dvd manual and didn't see anything.
If you have the "touch screen" model radio, the clock should still show up at the lower left corner of the screen. (the clock number size becomes real small in the lower left corner) For the non-touch screen radio`s, i think you can toggle the clock on/off with one of the knobs if i remember right. Do you have the radio controls on the front side of the steering wheel...? You might be able to toggle the clock from there too. Also, like others have said, ther is a rubber plug in the firewall you can go thru to install pretty much any accessory wiring.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
there will be a 3 letter sales code found in the lower right hand corner, on the radios face

the base radio would be the RES 130
the next one uo would be the REN or RBZ 430

the next one up has Navigation
RHB 430N uses GARMIN mapping, (considered by most members to be the best )
the premium unit is the RHR 730N uses NAVTEQ mapping

short radio manual
http://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/quality/rbz/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts