DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new ride about 2 weeks ago and had a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me:

How long does it take the engine to truly get broken in and start getting peak milage?

What does everyone like to run their tire pressure at for peak performance?

Anything I should keep my eye out for potential problem wise from a 2012?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I didnt see peak mileage until 1500 miles.

Ive been running 38psi in the front and 41 in the back. I tow a lot so the harder psi in the back is to take the extra load. 35psi seemed a little soft on ride and mpg and higher psi seemed to make the ride rougher than I liked.

While there are occasional problems, the trucks are really solid. If you have a dash rattle, get the dealer to deal with it. Otherwise, the occasional issue pops up and quickly gets covered under warranty.

Have fun with some mods when you have some spare time and money. Make the truck yur own and post pictures! Welcome to the Z.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
forgot, my mpg avgs between 16 and 17 mpg in mostly rural area, very little stop and go hand clc. i avg a little over 20 on the hwy, again hand calc. this is on winter fuel, 10% ethanol 87 octane. 2011 rcsb 4x4 3.55 rear. mpg changes drastically when my daughter drives. haven't hand calc her usage but evic says around 13 mpg.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i can tell you that peak mileage won't happen until well after 500 miles, i just hit 500 on mine last week and i'm barely getting 11 mpg combined
^^^:SHOCKED:
I bought mine 3 weeks ago and im at 900 miles and am getting a combined MPG of 15.5 roughly 13.5 city and 18 hiway. And thats in Southern AZ where its hills and canyons non stop

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ll have had my truck 12 days and have about 650miles on it. I get about 15-15.5 combined. Truck has a soft tonneau and 3.55's. Minnesota winter gas is horrible for mileage, I get 3 mpg less in my sebring in the winter, due to all the addatives. MN also adds 15% ethanol to there gas making mileage testing even more of a crap shoot. Im my experience it can be 3-5k before they start to get better mileage and up to 30k before they peak. I know that seems like a lot but the motors are built so well these days it takes awhile before things wear in. I was a chrysler tech for 17 years.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
I ll have had my truck 12 days and have about 650miles on it. I get about 15-15.5 combined. Truck has a soft tonneau and 3.55's. Minnesota winter gas is horrible for mileage, I get 3 mpg less in my sebring in the winter, due to all the addatives. MN also adds 15% ethanol to there gas making mileage testing even more of a crap shoot. Im my experience it can be 3-5k before they start to get better mileage and up to 30k before they peak. I know that seems like a lot but the motors are built so well these days it takes awhile before things wear in. I was a chrysler tech for 17 years.
how is the hemi going to hold up with E-15, didn't know we could run that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how is the hemi going to hold up with E-15, didn't know we could run that.

I dont know, it is not by my choice. MN says they have done extensive testing and upto 20% ethanol can be run in vehicles with out any ill effects. But what they dont tell the general public is it is going to effect your fuel mileage drastically. It is funny we pay .10-.20 per gallon more than Iowa and our fuel contains more ethanol resulting in worse fuel economy. In Iowa for .10 over the cost of 89 octane you can by 87 octane that contains no ethanol and raises my mileage in my sebring 3-4 mpg in the summer. So it is worth the .10.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know guys. Thanks.

Unfortunately here in Canada they seem to love the E-10, especially at the Co-ops (gas station that gives you 10-12 cents a litre back at the end of the year). Oh well, might have to look at upgrading to pure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I hand calculated myself at 14.5 mpg. I'm going to fill up tomorrow and run the tank to see what I'm getting combined (90% highway driving though). Got over 1000 kms on it now so we'll see how it goes. I'm running the 17's on the 3.9 I believe.

I'll be getting a tonneau and the rest of the toys in a few months hopefully.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have just a little over 4k miles on my current truck. The previous truck I went through one turbo 65K. Traded in on the current vehicle for HO package. I get 16.5 highway and 12 towing.:smileup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts