DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove from SE Massachusetts to Spring Lake NJ. Not towing. Truck only has 525 miles now. Hand calculated 17.5 mpg using 89 octane.
Experiments with Tow_Haul mode. Truck stays in 5th hear. No ECO light. With TH shut off, truck shifts smoothly and I can feel and hear the cylinders shutting down.
So far, very impressed with this truck. Next week we tow 986 miles to Wisconsin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also, first dent! Something or somebody hit tailgate. UGH!
Sorry about the dent! I was parking at a store called Rural King and parked as far as I could from anyone else, which was also very far from the store. I figured no one would park near me. Wrong! Came out to find two nasty beaters parked next to me. Luckily there was no issue with my truck, but I could figure out for the life of me why they would park next to me when there were so many spots closer to the store. LOL

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,238 Posts
Also, first dent! Something or somebody hit tailgate. UGH!
Arrgh!
I hate it when that happens, and of course sooner or later it almost always does.
We got one a few weeks ago in a Safeway parking lot when a monster gust of wind blew a shopping cart into the side of the truck bed just aft of the passenger side wheel arch. Nothing too terribly serious, but still.

In a way, it's kinda nice to get that "first blemish" over with, y'know?
:mad:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Drove from SE Massachusetts to Spring Lake NJ. Not towing. Truck only has 525 miles now. Hand calculated 17.5 mpg using 89 octane.
Experiments with Tow_Haul mode. Truck stays in 5th hear. No ECO light. With TH shut off, truck shifts smoothly and I can feel and hear the cylinders shutting down.
So far, very impressed with this truck. Next week we tow 986 miles to Wisconsin.

Interesting stuff on experimenting with the TH mode. I need to do that some on mine tomorrow when I take it to work.

Sucks that you got a ding in it already. I am waiting for the first one on mine. If it wasn't summer, and my wife was still in high school teaching, there would already be a ding in it, as the kids are always throwing footballs and such in the parking lot at her school. Our old truck has a mild ding in the passenger door from a football hitting it...lol.

And there is a question that has been in the back of my mind.....and not meaning to hijack the thread or anything.....is there any sort of plus to running 89 or premium in the truck? I have just been running 87 in my new one since we got it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you mention shopping carts. My last Ram, 2006 diesel. Sitting in parking lot way away from everybody with my grand daughter. Shopping cart comes from a few hundred yards away and plows into the passenger side door. Truck was less than month old! That dent remained for 12 years!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
We've been running 87 almost exclusively, which is mid grade around here in the Colorado high country (85 is regular and 89 is premium).
No knocking and no problems of any kind.
On our recent camping trip I tried a couple of tankfuls of 89, which was the mid grade in some places out west (87 was regular, and there was no 85 available at all so far as I could see) and didn't notice the tiniest bit of difference either in performance or mileage.
So it's been 87 all the way ever since. Runs just fine, and my wallet prefers it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
We've been running 87 almost exclusively, which is mid grade around here in the Colorado high country (85 is regular and 89 is premium).
No knocking and no problems of any kind.
On our recent camping trip I tried a couple of tankfuls of 89, which was the mid grade in some places out west (87 was regular, and there was no 85 available at all so far as I could see) and didn't notice the tiniest bit of difference either in performance or mileage.
So it's been 87 all the way ever since. Runs just fine, and my wallet prefers it.
I've tried all three grades both towing and empty. Cant tell any difference in power or mileage so I run 85. (Colorado)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m only using 89 because that’s what the owners manual said. After breaki-in I’m sure I’ll be running 87

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I’m only using 89 because that’s what the owners manual said. After breaki-in I’m sure I’ll be running 87
Here's what it says in the 2018 manual for the 6.4 Hemi;
This engines is designed to meet all
emissions regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance
when using high quality unleaded gasoline
having a posted octane number
range of 87 to 89 as specified by the
(R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane
“Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance
and fuel economy.
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87,
hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a
cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making
a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use
of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause
engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New
Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard
starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these
symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering
service for the vehicle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good to know. Guess I'll keep running 87, with a tankful of 89 here and there. :)
Haven't had any issues with the 87 so far. (Our grades here in Oregon are 87, 89, and I think it is 91 or 92 for super)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
FWIW the 6.4 may do a little better on 87 than the 5.7; the 6.4 is 10.0:1 compression vs 10.5:1 for the 5.7

1 - 14 of 14 Posts